Motor vehicle owners wondering how to replace a vehicle title in Washington can conduct this procedure through the state Department of Licensing (DOL). Car owners can request a replacement title due to various reasons, including a lost or stolen title certificate.

The state DOL imposes specific WA requirements for replacing a lost or damaged car title such as submitting the required paperwork and fee payment to a local licensing office. Replacing a car title in due time is an important step as this document is generally considered an invaluable piece of evidence for several vehicle-related proceedings, such as car registrations and title transfers.

When do you need to get a duplicate car title in Washington?

Applying to replace a lost car title at the DMV in WA will be necessary for vehicle owners who have lost or misplaced their original title certificate. Motorists who are currently dealing with a stolen credential will also need to request a copy of their title.

Other reasons for requesting a replacement car title include having a destroyed or illegible document, as well as a defaced certificate that can no longer be used. Failure to replace a stolen, destroyed or a Washington lost vehicle title may prevent other vehicle proceedings from being finalized due to the various official and general uses of this proof of ownership.

Documents Required When Applying for a Washington Car Title Copy

If you are still wondering how to get a replacement car title, note that this process is straightforward and will require you to provide the Department of Licensing with a set of documents for a car title replacement. When completing the required form for the purposes of replacing a car title in WA, you must ensure that the details provided are true and correct. Otherwise, you may incur serious penalties for making a false statement under state laws.

Another important step when obtaining a lost car title replacement is arranging payment for the costs as set by the state DOL. To check whether additional paperwork applies to your specific circumstances, contact the department before submitting your car title application form.

Available Methods for Replacing Your Car Title in Washington

There are currently two available ways to request a replacement car title in Washington: in person and via mail. Both methods for requesting a replacement auto title will require applicants to provide the DOL with the relevant application form and evidence they have paid the allotted fees. Motor vehicle owners have the option to either finalize their lost car title replacement via a standard vehicle licensing branch or apply through a quick title office for faster processing.

Note that quick titles can be obtained for a higher price, however, they are not available for motor vehicles that have been reported stolen, insurance or wrecker destroyed, or for rebuilt vehicles.

Note: The procedure to replace a car title online in Washington is not an available option at the moment.

How to Replace a Lost Car Title in Washington by Mail

In order to replace a car title by mail in WA, applicants must ensure they have the relevant documentation ready for submission and they will be able to provide payment for the applicable fees. Prior to mailing their application package, vehicle owners must double check the information provided on their application form since any fraudulent data may lead to denial of their request.

A mail-in Washington replacement car title request will also require applicants to have their signatures notarized. While regular vehicle licensing offices generally mail duplicate titles within eight to 10 weeks, quick title branches may issue a replacement immediately.

How to Replace a Lost Car Title in Washington in Person

The steps to replace a lost car title in person in WA are typically the same as those that apply to mail-in procedures. If you choose to request a replacement title in person, you must first figure out how to apply for a car title through regular processing or an expedited delivery, depending on your needs. Either way, be prepared to furnish the applicable paperwork and payment for the set fees to a local WA vehicle licensing office or a quick title location.

In-person WA replacement auto title requests do not require a notary public. You can provide your signature in the presence of a vehicle licensing agent instead. Also, remember to contact the Department of Licensing before visiting an office to find out whether you will need to present a valid photo ID.

Note: It is the responsibility of the lienholder to apply for a duplicate title if the motor vehicle has not been paid in full.

How to Fill out the Duplicate Car Title Application in Washington

In order to replace a lost car title at the DMV in Washington successfully, vehicle owners will need to complete and submit the relevant application form. The request form for a lost auto title replacement or an Affidavit of Loss form is currently available for downloading from the official DOL website. When completing this form for replacing a car title, applicants must be prepared to provide the following types of data:

  • Vehicle information, including the license plate/registration number, vehicle identification number, make, model and body style
  • An affidavit of loss (including the reason for requesting a duplicate title and the vehicle owner’s details)
  • A release of interest (if applicable)
  • Notarization or certification

Note: If the vehicle in question has more than one owner, all of the registered owners must sign the application form.

Car Title Replacement Fees

To replace your car title, you will be required to pay a mandatory fee. However, the costs will vary depending on whether you choose to apply through a vehicle licensing office or a quick title branch.

For example, a standard title replacement at a DOL office will cost $31, while an expedited replacement at a quick title branch will cost $81. Other fees or taxes may also apply depending on your county.

Last updated on Tuesday, March 10 2020.