is a privately owned website. Privacy

How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Wisconsin

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Vehicle Registration Online Services Guide

You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.

WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR Replacement license plates

  1. Complete the Replacement License Plate Application form, making sure to indicate that you are applying for a duplicate title.
  2. Another person may pick up your duplicate title using the Permission to Pick Up Title form along with a valid photo ID (driver license of state ID) from Wisconsin or another state.
  3. If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.


Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $20 duplicate title fee. There is an additional service fee of $5 for applications in person. Checks, money orders and cash are accepted.


You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your local DMV Service Center, or mail the package to:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
P.O.Box 7949
Madison, WI 53707-7949    


Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By