How to Renew/Replace a Motorcycle License in Wisconsin
Guide to renew/replace your WI motorcycle license. Renewal and replacement fees, mailing addresses, forms, etc.
HOW TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
A Wisconsin Motorcycle License can be renewed in person at any DMV Service Center in the State. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation notifies owners of the expiration date of their motorcycle license by mail, approximately 45 to 60 days in advance.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
Your Wisconsin motorcycle license is valid for eight years and will generally expire on your birthday. If you are under 21 years of age, your license will expire on your 21st birthday. You can renew your license any time in the year leading up to its expiration. If you renew your motorcycle license after expiration you will have to pay an additional $5 late fee.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your current motorcycle license.
- The renewal notice (if you don’t have it, fill out Wisconsin Driver License/Identity Card application form MV3001).
- Your Social Security number.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- The renewal fee, payable by cash or check (credit cards not accepted).
- You will have to take a free vision test.
Your new motorcycle license will arrive by mail within two to four weeks.
Note: Wisconsin residents, who are temporarily out-of-state when their license renewal is due, can renew by mail.
- Fill in the Wisconsin Drivers License/Identification Card Application form.
- Have a vision test done by a vision specialist and have them fill the Certificate of Vision Examination.
Mail the above forms along with your mailing address and a check or money order made payable to “Registration Fee Trust” for the renewal fee to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation Driver Information Section P.O. Box 7983 Madison, WI 53707-7983
HOW TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
A Wisconsin Motorcycle License can be replaced in person at any DMV Service Center in the State.
WHEN TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
You must replace your motorcycle license if your original license has been lost, stolen or destroyed.
TO REPLACE IN PERSON
- Bring proper identification. The state of Wisconsin requires that you prove your identity by presenting an approved document. Non-US citizens have to provide proof of legal status.
- Download, complete and bring the Wisconsin Driver’s License/Identification Card Application form.
- Persons under the age of 18 should have their application re-sponsored by a parent or guardian.
- Bring the correct fee. Only cash and checks are accepted. Please contact your DMV Service Center to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
- If your motorcycle license will expire within the next one year, you can renew your license instead of applying for a replacement.
Note: Wisconsin residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate motorcycle license through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the application form from the Department of Transportation website.
- Obtain a check or a money order for the correct fee made payable to “Registration Fee Trust”. Please contact your DMV Service Center to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles Driver Information Section P O Box 7983 Madison, WI 53707-7983
To hasten the mailing time, you can enclose a self addressed envelope with the relevant postage for express delivery and mail it to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles Driver Information Section 8417 Excelsior Dr. Madison, WI 53717