How to Renew a Motorcycle License in Massachusetts
A motorcycle license renewal is mandatory in Massachusetts before a current license expires for anyone who holds one and wishes to keep it. In order to renew motorcycle license documents, those seeking to do so must go through the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (MA RMV). Motorists looking to renew a motorcycle license must follow the same basic procedures and use the same types of documentation as those who wish to renew a regular driver’s license for an automobile.
There is a motorcycle license renewal cost in addition to the paperwork and documentation associated with the renewal process. The renewal process can take place by one of two different methods. A license may be renewed either online using the RVM website, or in person at the local office nearest you.
When to Renew a Motorcycle License in Massachusetts
Renewing a motorcycle license in the state of Massachusetts becomes important as those with a motorcycle license approach the date of expiration on their current license. Failing to do so may result in the loss of the ability to legally operate a motorcycle on public roads.
Your motorcycle renewal requirements need to be in order before the five-year period for which the license is valid expires. There are several steps involved in the process as well as an assortment of documents and/or information required of you.
The RVM highly recommends that cyclists who wish to maintain their licenses engage the renewal process well before their documents expire. In addition to not having to worry about pushing up against expiration, there is an added assurance there will be no late fees assessed. A motorbike license renewal can take place ahead of the expiration date by as long as one year.
Massachusetts also distinguishes renewal licenses for motorcycles according to age. For those who renew their license before turning 21 years of age, the license document is oriented vertically to signify that they are younger than the age of 21, the legal age to consume alcoholic beverages. For those who renew a motorcycle license at the age of 21 or older, the license document orients horizontally.
Eligibility for Motorcycle License Renewal in Massachusetts
There are motorcycle renewal requirements that you must meet before you can be considered eligible to have a renewed motorcycle license. The requirements vary slightly according to the age of the applicant for an initial license. Applicants older than 18 years of age have different requirements for motorcycle renewal than those younger than 18 years of age. Renewals typically occur after five years, but many obtain their initial license prior to turning 18 years of age. In order to renew you must have the following documents required to renew a motorcycle license:
- Type of ID – You must decide if you want a REAL ID or a standard driver’s license when renewing. A standard license is not valid for federal purposes, such as boarding an airplane.
- For a REAL ID for those renewing for the first time, or over the age of 75, you must visit an MA RMV office.
- Residency – Proof that you live in Massachusetts is required. This can be done with:
- A lawful presence document
- Social Security Number
- Two documents showing Massachusetts residency
Instances When You Cannot Renew Your Motorcycle License in Massachusetts
You may not renew your motorcycle license in Massachusetts if you have unpaid parking tickets, owe EZ-Pass fines, owe excise taxes, or have a license that is suspended or revoked.
How to Renew a Massachusetts Motorcycle License Online
You may ask yourself ‘Can I renew my motorcycle license online?’ Determining whether you are eligible for renewing a motorcycle license online is the first step. However, even those who are not eligible and must do so in person, may begin the process online. You may not renew a motorcycle license online if:
- You do not have an established legal Massachusetts domicile.
- You do not have a valid Social Security Number.
- You need to change your name.
- You are 75 years of age or older.
- You have a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- You have unpaid EZ-Pass violations, parking tickets, or an excise tax.
- You are trying to obtain your first REAL ID Massachusetts driver’s license.
- You have a ‘Limited Term’ REAL ID.
- You have already renewed online for your previous renewal.
If the photo on your license is 14 years old or older, or it was taken prior to turning 21 years of age, you will need a new photo. You may only renew online once in 15 years.
Otherwise, to conduct an online motorcycle license renewal, you must visit the MA RMV website. Once there, you must:
- Choose the type of license to be renewed:
- Only class M, D, and D/M may be renewed online
- Provide the following:
- Full name
- MA driver’s license number
- Social Security Number
- Email address
- Payment for the renewal
If for any reason your motorcycle license renewal cannot be completed online, you will receive instructions on what you need to bring to a local MA RMV office in order to finish the process.
How to Renew a Massachusetts Motorcycle License in Person
When wondering where to renew a motorcycle license in person in Massachusetts, it is typically done at your local MA RMV office. However, some AAA offices can offer some RMV services, including license renewals. To complete a renewal for a motorcycle license at your local RMV office, you must bring the following items with you:
- A completed application form for your renewal
- A document proving that you are either a U.S. citizen or a lawful resident. These can include:
- A certified copy of a birth certificate
- S. passport or a passport card
- A certificate of citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
- A document certifying your residency in the state of Massachusetts, such as:
- Any document issued by the RMV
- Any mortgage or lease documents dated within the prior 60 days to renewal
- Federal, state, or municipal-issued documents including first class mail
- Utility bills, credit card statements, or medical bills with dates within 60 days
- Proof of a valid Social Security Number, either your card or a W2 form.
- Payment for the renewal fees
When renewing a motorcycle license, in addition to the above information, you must also take and pass a vision screening test. For those 75 and older, you may either take the vision screening at the RMV office or bring a Class D and M Vision Screening Certificate (Form MAB102) signed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist with you.
Massachusetts Motorcycle Renewal Costs
The cost to renew a motorcycle license in Massachusetts is as follows:
- Class D – $50
- Class M – $50
- A motorcycle endorsement on an existing license – $15
A local MA RMV office accepts the following forms of payment:
- Check or money order payable to MassDOT
- Credit or debit card
Online renewals only accept credit or debit cards. A mailed-in application must use a check payable to MassDOT.