is a privately owned website. Privacy

License Plates in Massachusetts


As soon as license plates are lost, stolen or illegible they must be replaced.

In order to replace your plates you must:

  • Visit your local RMV office.
  • Present proper forms of ID.
  • Hand in any remaining license plates.
  • Pay the license plate replacement fees of $10.

You may also request replacement plates by calling the RMV at (617) 351-4500 or toll free at (800) 858-3926.


Regular Series

These are the different types of plates in the regular series: Auto, Commercial, Trailer, Motorcycle, Permanent Trailer Identification, Disabled Person, Disabled Veteran, and Foreign Organization (see fees below).

Special Interest Plates

The following is a list of some examples of special interest plates: Fenway Park, Firefighters Memorial, Massachusetts Animal Coalition, Cape Code & Islands, Fish and Wildlife, Basketball Hall of Fame, Olympic Spirit and United We Stand. Click here to access applications forms for requesting the different types of special interest plates. When you have completed the forms, take them to your local RMV office and submit them with the appropriate fees (see below).


  • You may also order special interest license plates by completing the Special Plate Online form.
  • The Massachusetts RMV also offers special plates exclusively for veterans. The different plates and application process can be accessed here.


The fees for replacing a license plate or getting new plates vary depending on the type of plate you need. For more information on these fees please follow the link for Special Interest Plate Fees and Regular Series Fees.
Note: For disabled drivers, please see disability plates application form and fees.


Under Massachusetts Law it is mandatory to retain license plates from a vehicle when selling. You may return them in person to your local RMV or mail them to:

Registry of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Express
P.O. Box 55889
Boston, MA 02205-5889    


Submitted by oliverb on 10th Aug 2015

I have no way of attaching a

I have no way of attaching a front plate to my car...what do I do? I had a green

plate and only needed on plate on rear of I have 2 red plates

and only can attach one

Submitted by mwillis on 15th May 2015

I have green and white plates

I have green and white plates and inspection in June. I was told I could not get it inspected with these plates. what do i have to do to get new plates - red and white

Submitted by rudster69 (not verified) on 9th Jul 2013

I lost my motorcycle License

I lost my motorcycle License Plate which include the reg. sticker and the Inspection sticker, how do I go about getting this taken care of, if anyone can help I appreaciate it tremendously.I am a Mass resident.

Submitted by cosmicgarden (not verified) on 6th May 2013

The number (617) 351-4500 is

The number (617) 351-4500 is no longer in use, according to a message I got when I called it. Call (857) 368-8000.

Submitted by john nugent (not verified) on 4th May 2012

I am a viet nam veteran and

I am a viet nam veteran and would like to know what plates have been turned in by veterans and how I would be able to apply for one that has been turned in

Submitted by (not verified) on 6th Mar 2012

Hello RMV, My front vanity

Hello RMV,

My front vanity plate and bracket has been lost or stolen> I don't see any choices to order a replacement on line nor on the call in menu. Can I order a new plate on line? Regards,


Submitted by wmoulton (not verified) on 19th Jul 2011

I would like to replace my

I would like to replace my Veterans Plates with new ones keeping the same plate letters and numbers. How do I do this? Thank you.

Submitted by Anonymous on 3rd Mar 2011

I am trying to order

I am trying to order replacement license plates as ours are old and damaged. There was no option on your phone for this and I don't see one on the website. Please tell me how to order replacements.

Thank you.

Carol Gregory

Submitted by edward johnson on 25th Feb 2014

when you get a replacement do

when you get a replacement do you keep the same number?