How to Replace a Commercial Drivers License in Massachusetts
Completing the process to replace CDL license in Massachusetts is a mandatory step for commercial drivers with stolen, damaged or lost driving credentials. Note that the state Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) must issue a CDL replacement credential under other circumstances as well. Operating a commercial vehicle without the proper license is against the law. Therefore, failure to replace a CDL license on time may lead to certain fines and penalties.
Drivers can apply for a DMV CDL replacement via various methods. Regardless of the chosen application method, however, commercial motorists will have to submit certain types of information and pay the applicable fee. Note that the state RMV issues its driving credentials from a central location and forwards them
When do you need to get a duplicate CDL license in Massachusetts?
Applying for a CDL replacement credential is a procedure that must be completed under different circumstances. The most common reason to replace your CDL license is losing or damaging the original. Commercial drivers must carry a valid driving credential at all times when operating their commercial vehicles. You must also replace your commercial license if your credential was stolen. In such cases, you are also encouraged to report the theft to decrease the risk of identity theft. Other less common situations that will require you to apply for a duplicate CDL license in MA is changing the address, name and/or gender on your license.
Note: If your commercial license is within its last 12 months of validity, you can renew it instead of obtaining a replacement document with the same expiration date.
Documents Required to Replace a CDL in Massachusetts
To successfully apply for a duplicate CDL, you will be required to furnish certain types of documents, which may vary to a certain degree depending on your reason for requesting a replacement credential. The following list outlines the MA CDL replacement paperwork that you will most likely need in various situations:
- The RMV Commercial Learner’s Permit or Driver’s License Application (Form LIC104_0618)
- Proof of lawful U.S. presence, such as a valid passport or birth certificate
- The old commercial driver’s license, if available
- Additional proofs of a Social Security Number and state residency, if converting a standard driving license to a REAL ID-compliant credential
- Name change documents, if applying for a corrected license in a new name
- Gender change proof and the RMV gender designation change form, if updating your gender information
- Paperwork proving you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, if adding the veteran designation on your credential
The above list includes the various documents that you may need to replace your commercial driving license in MA under different circumstances. However, you may be asked to furnish other documentation as well, since commercial drivers must meet additional requirements.
How to Replace a Massachusetts CDL in Person
The standard method to replace a CDL license requires you to submit your request in person through a nearby RMV facility. To successfully apply for a duplicate CDL in Massachusetts through an RMV service center, complete these steps:
- Complete the LIC104_0618 form, mentioned above.
- Surrender your old commercial driving credential, if available.
- Submit the paperwork that applies under your current circumstances.
- Pay the applicable replacement fee.
After processing your CDL replacement application, the presiding RMV agent will forward a request for the issuance of a duplicate credential. You will leave the office with a receipt of a complete transaction. Your permanent replacement document will arrive at your address on file within seven to 10 days.
How to Replace a Massachusetts CDL Online
The fastest way to replace your damaged, stolen or lost CDL drivers license is submitting your request with the registry online services section. To initiate the process to replace a CDL license online, you will first have to log onto the system by entering the following information:
- Your date of birth
- Your driving license number
- Your full name
- The last four digits of your Social Security Number
You can continue with replacing your CDL license in MA after the system retrieves your driving record. If you qualify to replace your CDL license via the internet, you will be prompted to provide an email address, verify your residential address information and pay the applicable fee.
How to Replace a Massachusetts CDL by Phone
Another convenient method to replace a CDL license in Massachusetts is contacting the state RMV by phone and providing the necessary information and fee payment by phone. To order a duplicate CDL license over the phone, call one of the following numbers:
- 857-368-8000 for area codes 339, 617, 781 and 857 or from another U.S. state
- 800-858-3926 for all other Massachusetts area codes
- TTY: 877-768-8833 for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing
Upon establishing contact with an RMV representative, you will be asked to furnish your full name, birth date and Social Security Number. The RMV agent will process your duplicate CDL license application once he or she retrieves your driving record. You will receive your permanent replacement credential at your recorded address within several days.
CDL Replacement Fees in Massachusetts
The last step when replacing your CDL license is paying the applicable replacement costs. Note that the CDL replacement fees in Massachusetts currently online include the following costs:
- Standard driver’s license replacement fee: $25
- Additional credit card processing fees, if applicable
- Extra endorsement fees, if applicable
Note: The acceptable forms of payment will vary depending on your chosen application method. For instance, when getting a phone-in or online CDL replacement, you will have to provide your payment card information.