How to Replace a Commercial Drivers License in Hawaii
You will need to obtain a CDL replacement in Hawaii if your CDL license is lost, stolen, or damaged. In Hawaii, you must carry your CDL license on you when you operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV). If you do not replace your CDL license, you risk driving a CMV illegally.
To replace a CDL license in Hawaii, you will need to purchase a duplicate CDL license. To do so, you must contact the driver licensing center in the Hawaii county in which you reside. Once you locate the driver licensing center or commercial driver license center in your area, you will need to apply in person. While you cannot apply for a replacement CDL license online, depending on your situation and county, you may be able to apply by mail. However, you will need to make sure that you submit the necessary documents and pay the replacement fee.
When do you need to get a duplicate CDL license in Hawaii?
In Hawaii, a CDL replacement is mandatory if your CDL license is lost, stolen, or damaged. Therefore, you will need to purchase a replacement if you fall into the above category.
If you have a stolen or lost CDL driver’s license, you may want to notify your local police department and file a police report. If your license is damaged and still in your possession, you will need to surrender it when applying for a replacement. Having more than one copy of your CDL license in Hawaii is illegal.
Documents Required to Replace a CDL in Hawaii
In Hawaii, there are four main counties: Hawaii, Honolulu, Kauai, and Maui. Each county requires different documentation, which is listed below:
- Hawaii: First, you will need to present your driver license. Unless you have your driver license with you, you will also need to provide two identifying documents, such as a state-issued birth certificate or your Social Security card. Then, you will need to fill out and complete the State of Hawaii Driver License Application form and check the “duplicate” box. You can get a copy of the application form in-person or online.
If your name has changed since you were issued a CDL license, you will need to submit proof of your name change, such as a certified marriage certificate, divorce decree, or document that shows your name change. If your address has changed, you will need to submit two proofs of your new Hawaii residency like a utility bill or a mortgage document.
- Honolulu: If you need to get a duplicate CDL license, federal regulations state that the driver licensing center will require you to endure a background check and verification in addition to submitting the driver license application. When you apply for a replacement CDL, be sure to bring your current DOT medical card with you. You will also need to provide proof of your name change or address change, if applicable.
- Kauai: To get a CDL replacement, you will need to complete the driver license application and submit proof of your photo identification if your CDL is lost or stolen. Otherwise, you will need to surrender your CDL. If applicable, you will also need to submit proof of your name change or address change.
- Maui: To replace a lost CDL driver’s license, you must complete the driver license application and submit your proof of identification, such as a birth certificate, U.S. Passport, Social Security Card, or Immigration & Naturalization Service documents. All documents must be originals or certified copies, as photocopies are not accepted.
How to Replace a Hawaii CDL in Person
Now that you know how to replace a CDL license in Hawaii, you may be wondering where you can go to apply. No matter the Hawaii county in which you reside, you will need to submit an application form and payment for the replacement license fee. However, each county has different driver licensing offices, which are outlined below:
- Hawaii: You can get a CDL replacement at either of the two driver licensing offices in the county. You can check the County of Hawaii website to find the center closest to you. You can also check the hours of operation and telephone numbers.
- Honolulu: You can replace a CDL license at the driver licensing center located at:
925 Dillingham Blvd Honolulu, HI 96817
You can also get a duplicate CDL license in Honolulu through a Satellite City Hall located in Fort Street, Hawaii Kai, Pearlridge and Windward City.
- Kauai: You can purchase a replacement CDL through the Department of Finance Driver License Division at:
4444 Rice Street Suite A480 Lihue, HI 96766
Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays.
- Maui: Lastly, you can get a new CDL license at any Motor Vehicle & Licensing Office in the county. Locations, phone numbers, and maps are listed online on the Maui County website.
How to Replace a Hawaii CDL by Mail
If you have a stolen or lost CDL license in Hawaii, but you are currently out-of-state, you may be able to apply for a duplicate by mail. However, you will need to check with your county CDL licensing center to see if you meet the eligibility requirements.
CDL Replacement Fees in Hawaii
If you need to apply for a duplicate CDL in Hawaii, the fee is $15. While the license fee is the same for each county, the acceptable payment options may vary. Therefore, you should contact the licensing agency in your county to determine the authorized methods of payment.