Getting a CDL replacement in Arkansas is necessary if your commercial driver license is lost, damaged or stolen. The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) allows commercial drivers to replace CDL license documents in person through a statewide network of revenue offices. Currently, the state only allows CDL replacement in person, although a mail-in option is permitted for certain commercial drivers as explained below.

While there is currently no quick method for replacing lost CDL drivers license documents online in Arkansas, you are still responsible for getting a replacement commercial license as soon as possible. It is illegal to drive a commercial vehicle without a proper CDL document in your possession. Continue reading to learn how to replace a CDL license in Arkansas and how much you should budget for your license replacement fee.

When do you need to get a duplicate CDL license in Arkansas?

A CDL replacement can be necessary for many different reasons. If you cannot find a lost CDL drivers license, replacing it quickly can prevent you from being ticketed for driving without a valid commercial license on hand. Citations usually come with steep fines, and paying them is considerably more expensive than getting a CDL replacement license right away. In addition, getting a ticket for driving with a lost CDL drivers license can put your commercial driving job in jeopardy.

If you need to replace a CDL license because you think your card has been stolen, DFA recommends reporting the theft to your local law enforcement agency. Although you are not required by law to report a lost CDL drivers license that was stolen or suspected to be stolen, having a police report can help protect you in the future. After you receive an Arkansas CDL replacement, a thief could use your old license for identity theft or other fraudulent purposes. Filing a police report can keep you from being held responsible for illegal use of your missing CDL.

Sometimes a CDL replacement is required because the card becomes unreadable due to creasing, excessive wear or other types of damage. You need a CDL replacement if any portion of your card is unreadable or if your photo is no longer clearly visible. Other reasons for getting a DMV CDL replacement include moving or changing your name.

A CDL replacement is necessary in these situations so that your document always includes your correct personal information. You may go to the MyDMV Arkansas website to update an address change before visiting a local revenue office. However, you must still appear in person to purchase your commercial driver license replacement.

Documents Required to Replace a CDL in Arkansas

When you apply for a duplicate CDL in Arkansas, you must provide appropriate identification for the clerk to process your request. In most cases, the only DMV CDL replacement documents required are two acceptable forms of identification. If possible, one document for CDL replacement should come from the list of primary documents to prove legal presence in the United States and verify identity.

However, you may also prove identity with two documents from the secondary list. The DFA website provides an extensive list of primary and secondary ID documents, but some of the most commonly used documents for a CDL replacement include the following:

Primary ID Documents

    • Valid/non-expired U.S. passport or passport card
    • Original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate
    • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization
    • Photo document issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) verified through Systemic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE)
    • U.S. visa with a valid foreign passport (verified through SAVE)
    • Employment authorization card verified through SAVE
    • Resident Alien Card
    • Permanent Resident Card

Secondary ID Documents

    • Driver license or ID card issued by another state or U.S. Territory
    • U.S. military or military dependent ID card
    • U.S. Armed Forces discharge papers (DD214)
    • Pilot’s license
    • Concealed handgun license
    • Marriage certificate
    • Bureau of Indian Affairs or Indian Treaty card
    • IRS tax documents
    • School or employer ID card

If you need a CDL replacement but your current name is different from the one printed on your birth certificate, you must also bring a copy of the document used to change your name. This may be a marriage license, divorce decree or other document providing proof of a court-ordered name change.

How to Replace an Arkansas CDL in Person

Replacing a damaged or lost CDL drivers license in person is a simple process after you locate your nearest local revenue office.

Most revenue offices can process your DMV CDL replacement request between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., but hours may vary by location. Before visiting the office, call ahead to verify normal hours of operation and learn the payment types accepted at that location. Some offices may prefer to make appointments for CDL replacement and other DMV-related services. Since having an appointment can help save time, be sure to ask if appointments are offered at your location.

There is no specific CDL replacement form to complete, so simply bring your identification documents from the lists above and tell the clerk the reason for your commercial driver license replacement request. After paying the applicable CDL replacement fees, the clerk will issue your new document.

How to Replace an Arkansas CDL by Mail

CDL replacement by mail is reserved for license holders who are temporarily residing out of state when their CDL is lost, damaged or stolen. Acceptable reasons to request an Arkansas DMV CDL replacement by mail include being stationed out of state as a member of the United States Armed Forces or being a dependent of a service member stationed out of state. Residents attending a college or university out of state and employees temporarily working out of state also may qualify to replace CDL license credentials by mail.

Contact the driver’s license issuance department of the DFA at 501-682-7059 to get information on how to replace a CDL license by mail. The clerk will provide you with the current instructions to replace your CDL license, including the information needed to process your request, the amount of fees due and the address to mail your documents.

CDL Replacement Fees in Arkansas

The standard CDL replacement fee in Arkansas is $10. You must pay the fee in full at the time you request your CDL replacement, using a payment method preferred by that revenue office location.

Last updated on Friday, March 6 2020.