Arkansas law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Arkansas residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Arkansas. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, and registration renewals must be done annually, either in person, online or by mail.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Arkansas for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- Get your vehicle VIN inspected. VIN inspections must be performed at a law officer or a representative of Arkansas State Police.
- Complete a vehicle title/registration form.
- Visit your County Revenue office, and bring the completed title/registration form with you. In addition, you will need to provide proof of insurance, the odometer reading, if the vehicle is less than 10 years old; and proof that you have paid all personal property taxes.
- For vehicles that have been registered in another state, you must also bring the original, out-of-state title. If the title is unavailable, bring the registration document, along with proof of sales tax payment.
When registering your vehicle at the county revenue office, you will be required to pay certain fees, typically as follows:
- The here, which varies depending on the manufacturer's model year or the vehicle's total weight. Generally, the registration fee will be between $3 and $30.
- Title application fee, depending on the county. The title application fee is usually $5.
There may be additional fees when you register, depending on your county. Contact the Arkansas Revenue Offices.
for the specific requirements.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Owners of motor vehicles in Arkansas are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person, online or by mail. See our Registration Renewal section
for complete details.