is a privately owned website. Privacy

How to Register a Vehicle in Louisiana

Vehicle Registration Online Services Guide

Louisiana law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Louisiana residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Louisiana. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, and registration renewals must be done annually, either in person, online or by mail.

Registering and titling must be done within 40 days of acquiring a vehicle. Out of state vehicle must be registered within 30 days.


If you are registering a motor vehicle in Louisiana for the first time, you must complete the following steps:

  1. Get your vehicle inspected. Vehicle inspections must be performed at an inspection station or by an inspector that has been licensed by the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV). Find out more about vehicle inspections in Louisiana. Once the vehicle passes inspection, you will be issued an inspection certification. Louisiana does not perform emission tests like other states do, their inspections focus on the mechanical parts of the vehicle. However, during the test, some vehicle emission parts will be checked.
  2. Complete a registration renewal form.
  3. Visit your local Office of Motor Vehicles, and bring the completed title/registration form with you, along with the inspection certification. In addition, you will need to provide proof of insurance, and the odometer reading, if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
  4. For vehicles that have been registered in another state, you must also bring the original, out-of-state title. If the title is unavailable, bring the registration document, along with proof of sales tax payment. The current registration certificate is required as well. If either the Bill of Sale or the title is not notarized then a notarized affidavit from the registered owner should be submitted. Use tax will have to be paid if the registered owner has become a resident of Louisiana.
  5. Military personnel must submit proof of being in military service.
  6. If the vehicle is being transferred the following documents must be submitted as well:
    • The certificate of title. If it is a new unregistered vehicle then the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, the dealer's invoice and an Odometer Disclosure Statement is required.
    • Current registration certificate.
    • Bill of sale.
    • An Odometer Disclosure Statement for vehicles that are less than 10 years old and for trucks that weigh less than 16,000 pounds.
    • Security agreement or proof of finance.
    • Sales tax.
  7. Proof of use tax, which is exempted for military personnel

Information on registering vehicles from another country can be found here.


When registering your vehicle at the Office of Motor Vehicles, you will be required to pay certain fees, typically as follows:

  1. The here, which varies depending on the manufacturer's model year or the vehicle's total weight and selling price.
  2. Title application fee which is $18.50.

There may be additional fees when you register, depending on your county. Contact the local Office of Motor Vehicles for the specific requirements.


Owners of motor vehicles in Louisiana are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person, online or by mail. See our Registration Renewal section for complete details.


Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By