Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
If your Louisiana driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Office of Motor Vehicles.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Louisiana driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Louisiana requires that you present one piece of primary ID and one piece of secondary ID when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card. Alternatively, you can bring three pieces of secondary ID. Persons under the age of 18 must bring their certified birth certificate, one piece of secondary ID, and be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a picture ID.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $16 cash fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Credit cards, checks or other forms of payment are not accepted. Please contact your local Office of Motor Vehicles to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary. If your license has been stolen and you have filed a police report, the fee for obtaining a duplicate will be waived. Bring a copy of the police report when applying for a duplicate license.
Instructions for Louisiana residents who are temporarily out of state:Louisiana residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the application form from the Office of Motor Vehicles website.
- Obtain a certified check, cashier's check or money order in the correct amount, made payable to: Office of Motor Vehicles. Please contact the Office of Motor Vehicles at 1-877-368-5463 to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
Office of Motor Vehicles Attention: Reconstructed License P.O. Box 64886 Baton Rouge, LA, 70896
- The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed to you in approximately 7-10 business days.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next 90 days, you are not eligible to apply for a duplicate or replacement. Instead, you will need to renew your license or identification card.
- You cannot apply for a replace driver's license or identification online.