In order to get a replacement Virginia drivers license, you need to complete a number of important steps when applying. In order to simplify the process, you will need to gather the necessary documents, calculate your required fee payment before being able to obtain a replacement Virginia drivers license. Online assistance can help you complete all of these steps quickly and easily by providing you with all of the information you need to know about replacing your license. Start simplifying your application process today.
2. By Mail
Rather than get ahead with online assistance and services, some Virginia residents prefer to handle their DMV transactions via mail. Drivers can complete a few different procedures by mail, but payment methods are restricted, and the transactions have inconvenient and lengthy turnaround times for results.
3. Via a DMV Office
Certain transactions must be completed in person at a Virginia DMV office. However, before visiting a local branch, be sure to verify that the location offers the service you require. Not all DMV procedures can be completed at every location. Additionally, note that wait times are typically lengthy. So make sure to take advantage of online assistance to prepare for your visit.
If your Virginia driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Virginia driver's license or identification card:
You can choose to obtain a replacement driver's license (but not an identification card) online, using a PIN issued by the DMV. However, certain conditions can restrict you from obtaining a duplicate online. If the current photo on your license needs to be replaced, visit one of the DMV centers near you.
To apply in person, follow the instructions below:
- Locate the Virginia DMV office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Download, complete and bring the Driver's License and Identification Card Application. You can also obtain the form at the DMV office.
- Bring proper identification. The State of Virginia requires that you present two pieces of primary ID. Persons under the age of 19 are only required to present one primary ID.
- Bring proof of legal presence in the US, unless previously provided by you and if it has not expired.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $10 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Cash, checks, e-checks, money orders, check cards and major credit cards are accepted. Please contact your local DMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Virginia residents who are temporarily out of state:
Virginia residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card online. But there are certain restrictions. Payment can be made via debit or credit card.
The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed to you in approximately 5-10 business days.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next two years, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.