You can apply for a new driver's license at any DMV office in Virginia. Obtain a Virginia Driver's Handbook to familiarize with the driving rules and regulations.
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for a Virginia driver's license:
- Applicants must be 16 years and 3 months of age, or older.
- Any individual under 18 should provide parental consent, complete a Driver Education Program and hold a Learner's Permit for at least 9 months. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written, and driving tests. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test.
- Applicants must provide acceptable proof of identification.
- Applicants must provide proof of Virginia residency and presence.
Virginia residents holding a driver's license from another state may also need to complete the Driver Education Program
. New residents must also provide proof of identification
Non-US citizens residing in Virginia are authorized to drive for a period of six months, provided that they hold a valid driver's license from their country and are not gainfully employed. However, they must obtain a Virginia driver's license within this stipulated time period, or when they are gainfully employed.
The cost for a non-commercial Virginia driver's license is $4 annually making the total cost of getting a license at anything from a minimum of $20 fee up to $32 fee (depending on the number of years for which the license is issued). A standard license with eight year validity will be for about $32.
The validity of a Virginia driver's license is normally eight years. Once it is issued, the license expires on your first birthday when your age is divisible by five.
In order to be eligible for a learner's permit, you must first complete a state approved Driver Education Program
. See more information on learner's licenses here