If your Alabama driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Driver's License Division of the Alabama Department of Public Safety (DPS).
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Alabama driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Alabama DPS driver license office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Alabama requires that you present one piece of primary ID and one piece of secondary ID, at least one of which should have a photograph, when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card. Alternatively, you can present three pieces of non-photo IDs, with at least one of them being a primary ID.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is an $18 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Credit cards, checks or other forms of payment are not accepted. Please contact your local DPS driver license office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Alabama residents who are temporarily out of state:
Alabama residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the application form from the Driver's License Division of the Alabama Department of Public Safety website.
- Obtain a money order in the correct amount, made payable to: Driver's License Division. Please contact the Driver's License Division at 334-242-4400 to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
Driver License Division
P.O. Box 1471
Montgomery, AL 36102-1471
- If your license or identification will expire within the next 60 days, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.