How to Replace a Motorcycle License in Alabama
It is important to replace a motorcycle license in Alabama right away should your license become lost, stolen or damaged. Driving without a license on your person can result in serious consequences. A motorbike license replacement can only be requested in person at your local driver licensing office, unless you are temporarily out of state. Out of state residents are provided with the additional option of mailing in a replacement request.
If you need to request a duplicate motorcycle license due to a lost or stolen license, you will need to report the matter to your local police department, as doing so can prevent your identity from being stolen. To learn how to replace a new license, including the application process, where to request a replacement and the fees you will need to pay, review the sections below.
When is a motorcycle license replacement required in Alabama?
In the event of a damaged, stolen or lost motorcycle license in Alabama, state law forbids you from operating a motor vehicle until you obtain a new one. If you are caught operating a motor vehicle without a valid license on your person, you could face severe legal penalties, including traffic tickets, fines and possible jail time. Therefore, it is important to request a duplicate license right away.
Documents Required to Replace a Motorcycle License in Alabama
When replacing a motorcycle license in Alabama, you must provide your local licensing office with at least one form of proof of identity and the appropriate fee for the duplicate license. Motorcycle license replacement documents that can be used to prove your identity include but are not limited to:
- A certified birth certificate.
- A U.S. passport book or card.
- A valid military identification card.
- Certified school records from a local school (must include your full name and date of birth).
- Certified marriage license or certificate (must include your full name and date of birth).
- Certificate of citizenship.
- Resident alien card.
How to Replace an Alabama Motorcycle License in Person
When following the steps for how to replace a motorcycle license, you will need to visit your local drivers licensing office in person and submit an application. Alongside the application, you must present one document that provides proof of your identity, as well as the duplicate licensing fee.
After you complete these steps, a temporary license will be issued to you during your visit. You may use this temporary credential until you receive your new license in the mail.
Out-of-State Motorcycle License Replacement in Alabama
You can replace a motorcycle license in Alabama by mail if you are a qualifying out-of-state resident. In order to qualify for a mail-in request, you must have obtained a license with your picture and signature within the last four years. Additionally, you must be located out of the state for one of the following reasons:
- You are a military personnel or the spouse or dependent of a military personnel who is stationed outside of the state.
- You are a college student who is enrolled full-time outside of the state.
- You are an employee who is temporarily placed on an assignment outside of the state.
- You are a missionary serving outside of the state.
- You are temporarily under a doctor’s care outside of the state.
When requesting a motorcycle license replacement, you must include your payment for the duplicate license as well as a supporting document, such as:
- A copy of a military picture ID card and current military orders.
- A current full-time enrollment verification.
- A letterhead from your employer that verifies that you are temporarily assigned outside of the state.
- A letterhead from your church or sponsor that verifies that you are serving outside of the state.
- A doctor’s letterhead or notepad that verifies that you are currently receiving medical treatment outside of Alabama.
How to Report a Lost Motorcycle License in Alabama
If you need to request a duplicate motorcycle license in AL due to a lost or stolen driver’s license, you will need to report your lost license to your local law enforcement agency. You may do this by phone by contacting the department’s non-emergency line or by visiting a location in person.
Having a police report can help you protect your identity and satisfy most lenders in the event of any fraudulent charges or unauthorized new credit accounts following the loss of your license.
Alabama Motorcycle License Replacement Fees
The Alabama duplicate motorcycle license fee is $31.25. If you are requesting a replacement in person, you may pay for it with cash or check. If you are an out-of-state resident requesting a replacement, you can only make a payment with a money order or a certified bank draft.