How to Replace a Motorcycle License in Utah
To replace motorcycle license cards in Utah, drivers are required to submit an application to the Driver License Division (DLD) of the Department of Public Safety. When ordering a duplicate motorcycle license, drivers must request a replacement regular driver’s license with the M endorsement according to state policies.
Unlike in most other states, UT drivers do not have permission to submit a request for a duplicate license by any application method other than in-person submission. Because drivers receive an endorsement on their regular driver’s license in order to operate motorcycles, they must replace their entire driver’s license to get a new motorcycle document.
The DLD asks UT drivers to complete a lost motorcycle license application form and gather supporting identification documentation to apply for a replacement license. All application packets must also be submitted with the necessary processing fees, which vary according to the type of license or permit being requested.
Holders of learner’s permits can request a duplicate permit by following the same steps as drivers requesting replacement licenses. Keep reading to learn more about replacing your license to drive motorcycles in Utah.
When is a motorcycle license replacement required in Utah?
In Utah, drivers are required to order a motorcycle license replacement if the document they normally have in their possession has been lost or stolen. In addition, drivers must replace M1 license credentials if it has been destroyed or damaged to the point that the information or photo is illegible.
The DLD does not ask for any supplemental documentation from drivers who are reporting a loss due to theft. Drivers who need to replace a license that is due to expire within the next six months should complete the driver’s license renewal process. Operating any type of motor vehicle is against the law in Utah. Drivers found driving without a license will face penalties and fees.
Documents Required to Replace a Motorcycle License in Utah
When replacing a motorcycle license in Utah, drivers must gather the necessary documentation to help prove their identity to the DLD. The exact combination of motorcycle license replacement documents that a driver must include in his or her application depends on the type of license the driver holds and any special conditions that apply to the case. For instance, drivers who would like to change their address in the DLD system while ordering a replacement card have to meet additional application criteria.
Proof of Identity
To apply for a duplicate motorcycle license in Utah, drivers must provide originals or certified copies (where applicable) of the necessary documentation. There are multiple requirements that apply to different groups of drivers. However, the DLD’s proof of identity requirement is applicable to all motorcycle operators and can be met by including any of the following documents in the M license replacement application packet:
- A valid and current U.S. passport or passport card
- An original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a U.S. state office
- A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State (Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS545)
- A valid and current Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
- A Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or Form N-570) or Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or Form N-561) issued by the DHS
- Legal proof of a name change if applicable
Proof of Utah Residency
Utah drivers submitting a request for a duplicate motorbike license should also be prepared to provide proof of their residency in Utah. Drivers whose account requires verification will need to provide two proofs of address, while all other drivers can usually provide just one proof.
Acceptable M license replacement documents for demonstrating an applicant’s residency include any of the following documents showing the driver’s name and address:
- A bank statement dated from the last 60 days
- Official court documents
- A current housing (mortgage or rental) contract
- A bill from a major credit card company dated from the last 60 days
- A property tax notice or receipt
- A school transcript dated from the last 90 days
- A utility bill dated from the last 60 days, such as an electricity, water or landline bill
- A valid vehicle title
Proof of Social Security Number
Before allowing a driver to replace a motorbike license, the DLD may also request that he or she provide proof of their Social Security Number (SSN) if it is not already on file. Acceptable SSN verification documentation for a motorcycle license replacement in Utah includes:
- The driver’s Social Security card issued by the U.S. (preferred proof).
- A W-2 form, SSA-1099 form and the Non-SSA-1099 form.
- Pay stubs showing the driver’s name and SSN.
- A letter from the Social Security Administration indicating the driver’s ineligibility to obtain an SSN due to their present status in the country.
Additional Required Documentation
In addition to the abovementioned documents, replacing a motorcycle license in Utah is not possible without completing and signing the Driver License Application form. At the time of application submission, drivers will have to pass a vision test. Other documents that UT drivers may need to include with their M1 license replacement application include:
- Proof of the driver’s Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security Number (for holders of a Driving Privilege Card)
- Proof of lawful presence in the U.S. (for holders of limited-term driver licenses)
- Two proofs of residency (to change the driver’s address with the DLD)
- Legal proof of name change (when applicable), such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or certificate of adoption
How to Replace a Utah Motorcycle License in Person
The only application method for duplicate M licenses accepted by the Utah Department of Public Safety is in person submission. How to replace a motorcycle license in Utah does not change based on the type of license the applicant is replacing or where the driver would like to submit his or her application.
DLD office locations welcoming license replacement applications are located across the state. Interested drivers can find a list of office location and their opening hours on the state’s web portal for driver services.
UT drivers cannot replace a lost motorbike license that was invalid or expired at the time of loss. New replacement licenses will keep the same expiration date printed on the driver’s original document. Drivers can take the following steps to apply for a duplicate motorbike license from the DLD in Utah:
- Consider scheduling an appointment with your nearest DLD office or you can also just walk in the office when ready
- Print out or pick up a copy of the UT Driver’s License Application. Complete and sign it
- Gather the necessary application material as outlined above
- Drivers applying for a name or address change should also gather the necessary additional application material
- Prepare the proper application fees by an accepted payment method
- Put all of the material together and bring it to your nearest UT DLD licensing office for submission
- While at the licensing office, retake your license photo and pass the state’s eye exam
- Submit the complete application packet to the DLD.
You will immediately receive a temporary license with a photo after submission. Your permanent license replacement will arrive by mail within eight to 10 weeks.
Utah Motorcycle License Replacement Fees
How much does it cost to replace a motorcycle license in Utah? The DLD requires most drivers to pay the standard, nonrefundable motorcycle license replacement fee of $23 for licenses with an M endorsement. Drivers paying the duplicate motorcycle license fee of a commercial driver’s license can expect to pay less, just $10 per duplicate request.
UT drivers with a learner’s permit can request a replacement permit if needed for the cost of $19. Application payments are accepted in various formats at each DLD office. The DLD encourages applicants for a replacement to confirm available payment methods before heading in to submit their request.
Utah Motorcycle License Replacement Forms
Note: DMV forms change regularly. The forms provided above are current based on the date of writing.
- Duplicate Utah Driver License from Utah.gov
- Motorcycle Endorsement from Utah.gov
- Brochure of Required Documents from Utah.gov