How to Replace a Motorcycle License in West Virginia
Drivers looking to replace motorcycle license credentials in West Virginia must submit a request to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The WV DMV accepts duplicate motorcycle license applications online and at licensing office locations located throughout the state. However, not all drivers are eligible for online replacement.
The process for replacing a motorcycle permit is the same as the process of applying for a duplicate license in person. Drivers may need to replace their license for a number of reasons. No additional requirements apply to drivers whose license was lost or stolen.
To submit a complete motorcycle license replacement application packet in person, drivers must complete the necessary application form and gather the appropriate supporting material. In addition to providing proof of identity and residency in West Virginia, all applicants will be expected to pay the necessary application processing fee.
Motorcycle drivers can expect to receive their new license within a couple weeks of submitting the request. Read on to discover all the details about how to successfully apply for a license in West Virginia.
When is a motorcycle license replacement required in West Virginia?
Replacing motorcycle license cards is required in West Virginia whenever a driver’s original license has been lost, stolen or severely damaged. Drivers replacing a destroyed or lost motorcycle license will have to replace their entire driving credential with the M endorsement. Operating any type of motor vehicle without the proper license physically on the driver’s person is illegal in West Virginia and can result in a series of penalties, such as receiving traffic tickets, for any driver found to be breaking the law.
Documents Required to Replace a Motorcycle License in West Virginia
The specific motorcycle license replacement documents that a driver must gather vary according to what type of license the driver is replacing. Drivers who would like to replace M1 license credentials with a REAL ID-compliant license must provide more documentation than those drivers replacing a non-compliant license. In addition, drivers who would like to request a legal name change in the DMV system are required to include additional paperwork with their duplicate application.
Although the specifics of how to replace a motorcycle license are different according to the license category, some requirements are the same no matter what type of license replacement the driver would like. The following documents must be presented with all motorbike license replacement applications by drivers in West Virginia:
- A completed Application for a Driver’s License or Identification Card form
- One proof of identification from the following documents:
- An original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a U.S. governmental authority (hospital records and census documents are not accepted)
- A valid and current U.S. passport or card
- An official Department of Homeland Security (DHS) document if foreign-born
- A current and valid foreign-issue passport with a valid and unexpired U.S. visa attached, accompanied by an I-94 form
- At least one proof of West Virginia residency, such as any of the following (including but not limited to):
- Utility bills (electricity, water, landline phone, gas, etc.) or a bank statement dated from the last 60 days
- A current housing (mortgage or rental) contract
- W-2 forms or pay stubs from within the last 18 months
- A WV weapons license
- A WV voter’s registration card
- A property tax notice or receipt
- A school transcript dated from the last 90 days
- A WV DMV Affidavit of West Virginia Residency
- A Social Security or other public assistance benefits letter
WV drivers applying for a REAL ID-compliant license must pay an additional duplicate motorcycle license fee and provide further application material. The following evidence must also be included with all applications for REAL ID-compliant M license duplicates in West Virginia:
- Proof of Social Security Number (SSN)
- Social Security card
- Paystubs and W-2s
- Social Security Administration 1099 form
- A letter from the Social Security Agency concerning the driver’s ineligibility for an SSN
- Two proofs of West Virginia residency
- Proof of legal name change if applicable
- Proof of lawful presence if a foreign citizen
- Proof of school enrollment for minors
How to Replace a West Virginia Motorcycle License Online
Many drivers choose to apply for a duplicate motorcycle license in West Virginia by submitting an online application through the state’s web portal. The motorcycle license replacement cost is the same whether the driver applies in person or online. Many drivers choose to submit their request online to avoid the hassle of having to head into a DMV licensing office in person.
However, not all drivers are eligible for replacing their license online. Drivers cannot switch between standard and REAL ID-compliant licenses by submitting a request online.
Any WV driver who would like to replace an M license in addition to changing their name, address or photo in the DMV system is required to apply in person. The DMV does not allow drivers with suspended or expired licenses to submit replacement requests online as well. Drivers will need to know how to reinstate a suspended license or renew expired credentials before requesting a duplicate, as a copy will not automatically restore driving privileges for invalid licenses.
Once ready, you can take the following steps to apply for a duplicate M license in West Virginia:
- Head to the WV DMV web portal to create an account. You must provide your driver’s license number, last name, date of birth and last four digits of your SSN to proceed.
- Fill out the e-application. Follow the instructions to provide the necessary information.
- Pay the necessary application processing fees by major credit or debit card.
- When completed, officially submit the online duplicate request.
- Print out confirmation of the replacement request. Wait to receive your new license in the mail within 10 to 14 days.
How to Replace a West Virginia Motorcycle License in Person
All eligible drivers in West Virginia can choose to replace a motorbike license by taking the necessary application material to a nearby DV licensing office in person. Drivers replacing an M license in person will be required to take originals of the necessary documents listed above, including proof of identity, residency and SSN.
Any driver requesting a duplicate M license who would like to change their name or address in the DMV system must also apply in person. WV drivers whose SSN is not already on file with the DMV must apply in person, along with any driver who must verify his or her residency or lawful status in the country.
Drivers who would like to apply for a duplicate motorcycle license in West Virginia can take the following steps:
- Gather the necessary duplicate motorbike license application material according to the type of license you are applying for. All drivers need a minimum of one valid proof of ID and West Virginia residency to apply. Drivers requesting READ ID-compliant documents will have to provide additional documentation.
- If applying for a name or address change, then prepare the necessary additional application material.
- Print out or pick up a copy of the Application for a Driver’s License or Identification Card form. Complete and sign it.
- Prepare the necessary application fee in an acceptable payment method.
- Bring all of the application material to your nearest WV DMV licensing office for submission.
- Submit the complete application package to the DMV. Keep confirmation of the request with you. Your license replacement will arrive by mail within two weeks.
West Virginia Motorcycle License Replacement Fees
How much does it cost to replace a motorcycle license in West Virginia? Drivers can expect to pay a motorcycle license replacement fee of $7.50 for a standard license valid for the same amount of time as the driver’s original license. The DMV requires WV drivers requesting a replacement REAL ID to pay an additional $10.00 per request.
The DMV does not extend the period of validity of a license when issuing a replacement. Drivers will need to complete the motorcycle license renewal process first.