is a privately owned website.* Privacy

How to Renew a Driver's License in West Virginia

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

A West Virginia Driver's License can be renewed in person at any driver exam station in the State.


  1. Your West Virginia driver's license generally expires on your birthday. The DMV will send you a renewal card before the expiration date. (You will find the new renewal fee and year of expiration on it).
  2. If your license has expired for more than six months, you will have to take the written and skills tests like any first time applicant.

Note: West Virginia has introduced the ‘drive for five' program under which all drivers' licenses will expire at an age divisible by five. (i.e., 25, 30, 35 and so on.)
The new license is generally valid for five years, but if your current license expires at an age not divisible by five, then the expiry of your new license will be adjusted (for 3-7 years) so that it does so. For example if your current license expires at age 28, you will be issued a seven year license (For more details see).


You must bring:

  1. Your expiring license or proof of identity if the expiring license is not available.
  2. If your name has changed, documentation of the to Birth Date, Name, Gender, and Social Security Number name change is required.
  3. proof of identity document.
  4. The renewal fee (It will be printed on your renewal card. Anywhere between $8 and $18, depending on the number of years it is being renewed for). You can refer to the see.

Contact 1-800-642-9066 or (304) 558-3900 if you need further information


Submitted by PMJohnson on 4th May 2013

Why don't men need proof of

Why don't men need proof of their name at time of renewal? What if the the name they are using is not the one on thier birth certificate. How would DMV know. I

Submitted by Hatcher89 on 28th May 2011

Today is May 28 2011 and i

Today is May 28 2011 and i have been trying to get into highland hospital for days it could be a matter of life or death. I have a bad problem with drugs and i am afraid i might die if i keep using. First off i am not currently on any drugs but i am hooked on roxicotton. I have been calling Highland Hospital for weeks and they just now called me back and said there will be a bed open tomorrow morning at 9 30 first come first serve. I asked the women what all do i need? She replied all you need is a valid W.V photo i.d. Problem is it got taken the other day at Rehab the club in Huntington. It's a strange coincidence but today is Saturday so i thought i could go to the Kanawha City D.M.V (http://D.M.V) or even drive hours to Martinsburg. But they are both closed. Now what? Like i said it has to be a valid W.V I.D. Is the D.M.V (http://D.M.V) the only place you can get a valid W.V photo I.D AT? See i have a valid U.S ARMY I.D and a valid passport proof of residency and my social and everything you could possibly need to get an I.D but no I.D. What should i do now?? This is a huge problem.. Where all can you get a W.V photo I.D LEGALLY?