Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
A Michigan Driver's License can be renewed either in person at any Secretary of State branch office in the State, or by mail.
You need to renew your license in person if:
- You have developed any physical or mental condition that could affect your driving since your last renewal.
- Any changes have to be made to your name, license type or endorsement.
- You renewed by mail on the previous occasion.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Michigan driver's license is valid for four years and will generally expire on your birthday. If you are under 21 years of age, your license will expire on your 21st birthday.
- The Department of State will mail you a renewal notice about 45 days before expiration.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before it expires. You can renew your license up to one year before expiration.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You need to:
- Pass a vision test (you may also be asked a few general health-related questions).
- Have your picture taken.
- Provide your Social Security Number (If you do not have an SSN, provide a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and proof of legal presence).
You must bring:
- Your expiring license or acceptable proof of identity as listed in the Applying for License or ID form.
- Renewal fee of $18. Payment can be done by cash, check or money order at all Secretary of State offices. At PLUS offices and SUPER! Centers you can pay by Discover card.
Note: You cannot renew your driver's license if it has been revoked or suspended, or if your driving record shows six or more unpaid parking tickets.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
You are eligible to renew by mail if you did not renew by mail on the previous occasion, possess a non-CDL license and are not on the sex offender registry. Whether you are eligible to renew by mail or not will be clearly stated in your renewal notice.
A vision test is not necessary when renewing by mail.
When you renew by mail, you should:
- Provide your Social Security Number.
- Write down your eye color, height and weight.
- Update change in address, if any.
- Make your money order or check payable to the State of Michigan. You can also pay by VISA, MasterCard or Discover.
- Sign the renewal notice.
Mail the documents to:
Michigan Department of State 7064 Crowner Dr. Lansing, MI 4890-0001
Your renewal application will be processed and a new photo license mailed to you in about 15 days.