How to Renew Your Drivers License in Miane
A drivers license renewal in Maine must occur if your license is set to expire soon or if it has recently expired. If you are 65 years of age or younger you must renew your license every six years, if you are older than 65 you must renew every four years. Therefore, it is crucial that you understand what you need to renew a drivers license so that you can be completely prepared ahead of time. You should also note that if your license is lost, stolen or damaged, you will not process a renewal. Instead, you must request a driver license replacement.
It is very important that you understand where to renew a drivers license because in Maine you have two different options: online or in-person. The steps involved in getting your license renewed also vary depending on the method that you choose. By understanding what the various methods are and how to complete the BMV license renewal process, you can expect a much less confusing experience.
Eligibility for Drivers License Renewal in Maine
Note: The expiration date of your drivers license is located on its front side near your photograph and personal information.
To complete a BMV license renewal, you must meet certain drivers license renewal requirements.
This includes having a valid license issued by the Louisiana BMV, passing a vision exam, if applicable, and being within the appropriate time period for completing a renewal.
Instances When You Cannot Renew Your Drivers License in Maine
If you are wondering, “Can I renew my license?” the answer depends on whether you meet the eligibility requirements mentioned above and if the following situations are not applicable to you. These are the instances where you cannot complete a renewal:
- It is more than six months before your license expires.
- Your license is suspended or revoked. A renewal can only be done once your driving privileges are restored.
- Your license has been damaged, lost or stolen. A drivers license replacement must be obtained instead.
How Early Can You Renew Your Drivers License in Maine?
If you are curious about how early you can renew your drivers license, the answer is that a renewal can be processed as early as six months before your license expires. You will typically receive a renewal notice in the mail from the BMV approximately 45 days before the expiration date, although you can renew your license before then if you wish.
To find your expiration date, look at your drivers license because the expiration should be printed on the card.
Maine BMV License Renewal Options
In Maine, you can either renew a drivers license online or in-person. While everyone is eligible to renew in-person, you must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible to complete an online renewal. To learn more, read the sections below.
How to Renew Your Drivers License Online
An online BMV drivers license renewal can be performed by you if you are a licensed driver in Maine with an active license. However, you cannot use the online service if any of the following are true:
- Your license is suspended or revoked.
- You hold a commercial driver license.
- You hold a driver license from a different state.
- You have not provided proof of legal US presence documentation to the BMV.
- You have not already provided proof of Maine residency to the BMV.
- You have changed your name since your last license renewal.
- You have developed a medical condition, or an existing medical condition has changed since your last license renewal.
- You need an eye exam. Vision screenings are required at the first license renewal after you turn 40, at every second renewal after that and at every license renewal after you turn 62.
If you find that you are eligible, you can complete the renewal online. To complete the online renewal, you must follow these steps:
- Provide necessary information on the online drivers license renewal form, including your name, date of birth and Social Security number.
- Authorize driving license renewal fee
- View and print your temporary license.
Your license may take up to three weeks to arrive in the mail, although it can usually be expected within two weeks. Your temporary license will be effective for a total of 60 days.
How to Renew Your Drivers License in Person
You may also renew your Maine driver license in-person at any Maine BMV location. Everyone is eligible to renew in-person. The steps you must follow to complete an in-person renewal are as follows:
- Visit your local BMV office.
- Provide proof of identification, proof of residency and proof of legal presence.
- Pass a vision exam, if applicable. Vision screenings are required at the first license renewal after you turn 40, at every second renewal after that and at every license renewal after you turn 62.
- Pay the driving license renewal fee.
Afterwards, you will be provided a temporary drivers license that is valid for 60 days. Your new license may take up to three weeks to arrive in the mail, although it can usually be expected within two weeks.
Military & Out of State Renewal in Maine
If you are asking, “Where can I renew my drivers license if I am out of state?” The answer is that instead of needing to visit a drivers license office in Maine you may have the option to renew your license online.
Members of the U.S. military stationed or deployed outside of Maine also have the option to renew a drivers license online. Also, anyone with a “K” or “2” endorsement will have the renewal fee waived.
Maine Drivers License Renewal Fees
You must pay a driving license renewal fee when you renew your license. Knowing these fees is an important part of being prepared. The amounts are as follows:
- Class C – Under Age 65 – 6 year license: $30.00
- Class C – Age 65 or Older – 4 year license: $21.00