How to Apply for a New Identification Card in Maine
The Maine state ID is designed for residents who do not hold a state drivers license. There are many situations where you are typically asked to provide a driver’s license as a form of identification, such as when at the bank or when questioned by law enforcement. An ID card can also be used in these situations. The card is easier to get than a driver’s license, as you are not required to pass any official tests.
Learning how to get a new ID in Maine includes understanding the documentation you will need to bring, the fee you will need to pay and the importance of the federally enforced REAL ID program. Once you become an ID cardholder, you should also learn what you need to do if you lose your identification card in Maine, or how to renew it upon expiration.
Maine DMV ID Requirements
In many ways, Maine DMV state ID requirements are less strict than driver’s license requirements. You can get an ID no matter your age, and, in fact, a child ID card may be required, if the minor plans to board a flight without a companion.
There are certain Maine ID card requirements you should be aware of when applying for your credentials. These include:
- Choosing between two types of ID: a driver’s license or an ID card. (Note that unless your driver’s license is expired, you will have to surrender it before you can get your ID card.)
- That the application process does not require you to be a citizen. (In the next section, you will learn how DMV ID card document requirements can be fulfilled by permanent or temporary residents.)
What do you need to get an ID in Maine?
“What do you need to get a state ID in Maine?” is a frequently asked question posed by interested applicants. Instead of having specific documents needed for state ID, the state allows you to choose two from this list:
- Common documents for U.S. citizens include a birth certificate, Social Security card or passport
- Common documents for non-citizens include a Permanent Resident card, Alien Resident card, Employment Authorization card or visa
- If you have a license from out of the state, you must show this to the DMV; you may also use a permit as one of your two documents
- If you are getting a child identification card, your parent or guardian may provide the two required proofs to verify your identity; if you do not choose to go this route, you may bring a certified school transcript as one of your documents
- If you are a service member, you may bring a draft card, DD-214 or Military ID card. A Military Dependent ID card will also be accepted
- Miscellaneous records include a marriage certificate or application, divorce papers, adoption, baptismal or hospital records, a concealed weapons permit or any court document.
When compiling the documents required for state ID in Maine, keep in mind that you need to choose one document that displays your signature and a second that shows your birthdate.
When ready, you can pay the DMV ID card fee using a check, money order, debit card, credit card or cash payment. Note that currently, the state does not accept American Express.
How to Get an ID in Maine
Applicants frequently ask how to get ID online in Maine, but, currently, this is not an option, because a DMV employee needs to see the documents listed above in order to verify your identity. This is the same reason why you cannot apply via mail or the phone.
Though you need to go to the DMV to get ID, you are not restricted to the offices in your county. When determining where to get state ID in Maine, you can choose from any office in the state, including the mobile unit offices. Note that the cost for your credential will be the same at all locations.
REAL ID Cards in Maine
Though a REAL ID card will be required for the purpose of federal identification starting on October 1, 2020, Maine does not currently issue REAL ID-compliant licenses or IDs. This means that you will not be able to use your current Maine DMV identification card for the purposes of boarding a domestic flight.
The state is legally required to offer REAL IDs no later than July 1, 2019, however. At this point, you may choose to visit your nearest DMV location to request a credential that is REAL ID-compliant. If you choose to keep your current ID, on the other hand, you will need to use a passport in order to board domestic flights. Keep in mind that although a passport can be used in place of a REAL ID-compliant identification card, the Maine ID cannot be used in place of your passport.
When you are able to apply for REAL ID in Maine, the documents required will need to follow federal guidelines. This means you will be required to submit:
- One document proving your identity. This is typically a birth certificate or passport, but non-citizens may use a Permanent Resident card or Employment Authorization document.
- One document proving your Social Security Number, or SSN. This is usually a Social Security card, but you may also use a W-2, 1099 or paystub (the pay stub will need to list your name and SSN).
- Two documents proving your address. Acceptable documents include a voter registration card, rental agreement or utility bill.
How to Renew or Replace a State ID in Maine
If you lost your ID card in Maine, you will need to get it replaced. Unlike many states, Maine allows you to get a replacement ID card online. The service will ask you for basic personal information, including your Social Security Number. The duplicate will be mailed to you once you complete the form. You can use this service if you misplaced your ID while out of the state, as well.
When you are ready to renew ID card credentials in Maine, conveniently, you will also have online access to complete the task. Utilize the Rapid Renewal service, which is provided by a third-party company, and authorized by the Maine BMV to do so.
As long as you have proof of legal presence and state residency on file with the BMV, and your name has not legally changed since your last renewal cycle, you can complete your renewal request online. To get the process started, you must have your SSN, a valid form of payment and a printer on hand.
Note that the Maine ID replacement cost and ID renewal fee are the same as what it costs to get your initial ID.
DMV ID Costs in Maine
Unlike with driver’s licenses, the DMV ID cost remains the same for all applicants. The current cost is $5.