How to Replace a Commercial Drivers License in Maine
Replacing a stolen, damaged or lost CDL drivers license in Maine is an important procedure that must be completed when a commercial driver remains without a valid CDL credential. To obtain a CDL replacement document, motorists will be required to submit their request through the state Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). Note that the BMV offers both an in-person and a mail-in application method. The option to replace a CDL license online is not currently available, as it is only offered to noncommercial driver license holders.
When applying for a commercial driving license replacement, drivers will have to submit certain types of documents and pay the applicable fee. The requirements and the steps to replace a commercial credential may vary to a certain degree depending on the chosen application method. Note that commercial operators are prohibited from driving their vehicles without a valid credential. Therefore, to reduce the risk of receiving the applicable fines and penalties, refrain from operating a commercial motor vehicle until the BMV issues you a duplicate card.
When do you need to get a duplicate CDL license in Maine?
Obtaining a duplicate CDL license is a mandatory step under different circumstances. While replacing a stolen or lost CDL drivers license is the most common reason for initiating the replacement procedure, you will also have to apply for a duplicate CDL document in different situations.
For example, you must apply for a DMV CDL replacement in ME even if you damage your commercial license. Other less common reasons to obtain a replacement CDL is receiving a credential with typographical errors or if a license is lost during transit.
Documents Required to Replace a CDL in Maine
When replacing a CDL license, you will be required to furnish several types of documents. While you will not have to submit the full paperwork set that is needed for an original CDL, you will still have to provide the following CDL replacement documents
- The old commercial driver’s license, if available
- Two proofs of identity (one of the ID proofs must display your birth date, while the other one must bear your legal signature), such as:
- A state-issued photo identification document
- A valid passport
- A birth certificate
- A marriage or divorce document
- Evidence of state residency and legal U.S. presence, if absent from your file
- CDL-specific documents, such as a self-certification form and a medical examiner report, if required
How to Replace a Maine CDL in Person
The standard method to replace a CDL license requires you to make a visit to a nearby driver licensing facility to submit the required items in person. You can successfully apply for a Maine BMV CDL replacement if you follow these steps:
- Fill out the Request for Duplicate Motor Vehicle Operator’s License or Identification Card (Form MV-10).
- Surrender your old commercial license, if available.
- Furnish the required proofs of identity and CDL eligibility.
- Pay the applicable replacement fee.
The state BMV will process your ME CDL replacement application once it verifies your eligibility for a commercial driving license and the authenticity of the submitted paperwork and fee payment. If you are unable to make an office visit, you can also send a close family member to apply on your behalf.
Note: If you are within your CDL renewal period, you may be asked to extend the duration of your credential instead of replacing it.
How to Replace a Maine CDL by Mail
If you are unable to apply for a CDL replacement in person due to a temporary absence from the state or a physical or mental condition, you may also submit your request by mail. To successfully replace your damaged or lost CDL drivers license by mail, you will have to complete these steps in most cases:
- Fill out the MV-10 form or compose a written request, which will include:
- Your full name, birth date and current residential address.
- Your driver license number.
- The reason for requesting a Maine duplicate CDL license.
- Collect the required proofs of identity.
- Mail the above items along with the fee payment to the following address:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles License Information Unit 29 State House Station Augusta, ME 04333-0029
Once the bureau receives your CDL replacement application, it will verify your image and signature on record before issuing your duplicate credential. You will receive your replacement card by mail at the provided in-state or out-of-state address.
Note: Get more information on replacing your CDL license by mail by contacting the state BMV at the following number: 207-624-9000 ext. 52114
CDL Replacement Fees in Maine
To finalize the CDL replacement process, you will be required to pay the applicable licensing costs. Note that the Maine CDL replacement fees are smaller than the initial issuance and renewal costs and currently include the following fees:
- $5 for the duplicate CDL license
The acceptable forms of payment will vary depending on the chosen application method. For example, mail-in requests must be accompanied by a check or money order.
- Obtaining a Replacement (Duplicate) Drivers License/Identification Card from maine.gov
- Commercial Exams from maine.gov
- License and Examination Fees from maine.gov