Connecticut CDL replacement is required whenever the original document is lost, stolen or damaged. Commercial drivers must replace CDL license cards as soon as possible after realizing the document is lost, to avoid penalties associated with driving without a valid license. Applicants for a duplicate CDL license can get a replacement at any Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office. Although regular driver licenses can be replaced at certain AAA locations, CDLs must be replaced at the DMV.

Certain commercial drivers may request a DMV CDL replacement by mail if they are temporarily out of state when a duplicate becomes necessary. A duplicate CDL license will have the same privileges, endorsements and restrictions as the original document. Review the following sections to learn how to replace a CDL license in CT, including where to apply and how much your replacement/renewal will cost.

When do you need to get a duplicate CDL license in Connecticut?

There are many situations where getting a CDL replacement becomes urgent, such as when you cannot find your license card. A lost CDL drivers license is a common reason for duplicate license requests, and sometimes a duplicate is needed because the original license was stolen. Even though state law does not require reporting a stolen CDL, having a police report can help guard against identity theft or fraudulent license use.

You must also apply for a duplicate CDL in Connecticut if your name changes after a marriage, divorce, adoption or another legal reason. A CDL replacement is also required when the license card becomes creased, burned or otherwise damaged to the point that the text or photo cannot clearly be seen.

Failing to replace CDL license cards promptly can result in being ticketed for driving without a proper commercial license—and that could even cause you to lose your commercial driving job. CDL replacement fees are a mere fraction of what you will pay in fees and penalties after receiving a ticket for driving without a license.

Documents Required to Replace a CDL in Connecticut

Because most of your CDL replacement information is stored electronically at the DMV, you will only need to provide proof of identification to get a duplicate commercial driver license. This CDL replacement ID document must come from the state’s official list of primary and secondary identification documents.

Primary ID documents for CDL replacement include:

  • Original or certified copy of a U.S. or U.S. territory birth certificate
  • Passport or passport card
  • Foreign passport with accompanying immigration status forms from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
  • Permanent resident card
  • A Certificate of Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Birth Abroad

Secondary ID documents that can verify your DMV CDL replacement information include:

  • Out of state driver license or permit
  • Employee, school, military or military dependent ID card
  • Marriage certificate
  • Military discharge papers (DD 214)
  • Connecticut permit to carry pistols or revolvers

Other documents may be accepted for CDL replacement, and you can find a complete list of them on the CT DMV website. Documents must be originals or certified copies. No photocopies will be accepted.

How to Replace a Connecticut CDL in Person

You may apply for a duplicate CDL at DMV offices located throughout the state. For CDL replacement services, appointments are not required.

If you wish, you can expedite your CDL replacement process by printing Form 1-B, Application for Duplicate of Current Driver’s License or Permit and completing it before going to the DMV. Otherwise, you can wait and ask for a printed copy at the DMV. Show your form of identification from the lists above and pay the CDL replacement fee by one of the acceptable methods listed below.

Note that you will not receive a permanent copy of your DMV CDL replacement card while at the DMV office. You will be given a temporary paper duplicate CDL license to use while you wait for you new hard card to arrive by mail, usually within 20 days of application. You can track the progress of your CDL replacement application online through the DMV Card Tracking page.

How to Replace a Connecticut CDL by Mail

If you are temporarily out of state when a CDL replacement becomes necessary, you may be able to obtain your replacement copy through the mail. This method of DMV CDL replacement is not available to commercial drivers currently present in Connecticut or to former residents who have established a permanent residence in another state. Each driver is allowed to get one CDL replacement through the mail before a new photo is required.

Applicants applying for mail must complete Form B-350, Request for a Connecticut Driver’s License/Identification Card by Mail. If you are in the military, be sure to complete Section E of the application. If you need a CDL replacement by mail due to a medical condition, you must also complete Form CI-1 to document the medical issue.

Mail the completed form and a check or money order for the CDL replacement fees, made payable to DMV. You may also follow the instructions in the next paragraph if you wish to pay by credit card over the phone. Mail your form and payment to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06109
Attn: Central Issuance Operations Unit

To reduce CDL replacement wait time, you may submit your application by email or fax. Email completed forms to or fax to 860-263-5591. If you choose the email or fax option, wait one business day then call the Central Issuance Operations Unit to pay your CDL replacement fees by credit card. You may reach the unit between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday at 860-263-5401.

CDL Replacement Fees in Connecticut

The current CT CDL replacement fee is $30. When you replace CDL license documents in person at a DMV office, you may pay by cash, money order, personal check, bank check, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit cards. You may also pay your CDL replacement fees with any debit card featuring the Visa or MasterCard logo. Make all checks and money orders payable to DMV.

Last updated on Friday, March 6 2020.