A CDL replacement in Iowa, or a Commercial Driver’s License replacement, is mandatory if yours is lost, stolen, or damaged. To replace your CDL, you must do so in person through the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) at a driver’s license issuance site. If you are an Iowa resident who is currently out of state, you may be able to apply for a temporary driving permit (TDP) either by mail or by fax. If you fail to get a replacement CDL, you may face citations and fines from law enforcement.

To replace a CDL in Iowa, you are going to need to purchase a duplicate license. To do so, you will need to present your proof of identity and make payment for the replacement fee in the approved payment method. If you fail to follow any of the above steps, the DOT will be unable to issue you a replacement CDL.

When do you need to get a duplicate CDL license in Iowa?

If you have a stolen or lost CDL driver’s license, you will need to apply for a replacement. According to Iowa law, it is illegal to operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) without possessing a valid CDL. Therefore, you will need to get a replacement before you resume driving commercially.

If you are obtaining a CDL replacement because yours is damaged, you will need to surrender it at any driver license station in the state. Though it is not mandatory under state law, you may want to notify the local police department if your CDL has been stolen so that you can file a police report. If you believe that your CDL is stolen, the Iowa DOT’s Bureau of Investigation & Identity Protection offers instructions to prevent your identity from also being stolen.

Documents Required to Replace a CDL in Iowa

To replace a CDL license in Iowa, you may need to present proof of your identification, such as a valid, unexpired U.S. Passport or Passport Card, or a certified copy of a birth certificate. If you are a non-U.S.-citizen, you can present your Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or your unexpired Permanent Resident Card.

It is essential that you know that if your name has changed since you were issued your CDL, you will need to submit proof of your name change, such as a certified copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order. Once you gather your proof of identity and payment for the replacement fee, you are ready to apply in-person for a replacement CDL license.

How to Replace an Iowa CDL in Person

To get a duplicate CDL license in Iowa, you must visit your local driver’s license issuance site and bring the above documentation with you. You can search for the closest location online through the Iowa DOT website. If you need to replace your lost or stolen CDL license but you are temporary out of state, you may be eligible to apply for a TDP by mail until you return to Iowa to replace your license in-person.

How to Replace an Iowa CDL by Mail

If you wish to get an Iowa CDL replacement by applying for a temporary CDL, you will need to submit an application in writing and include your:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Driver’s license or Social Security Number
  • Signature
  • Out-of-state address or out-of-state fax number
  • Telephone number
  • Email address

You will also need to indicate whether you want the Iowa DOT to mail your TDP to your out-of-state address or faxed to an out-of-state number.

Once you gather the above information, you can mail it to the below address:

 Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204

If you prefer, you can also fax it to (515) 239-1837. Once the Iowa DOT receives your completed mail-in request, it will issue you a TDP.

CDL Replacement Fees in Iowa

Now that you know how to replace a CDL license in Iowa, you may be wondering how much it costs. The replacement license fee is $10 unless you are replacing a defective license, then it is free of charge. It is crucial that you know that depending on the CDL endorsements that you have on your license, you will need to pay additional fees.

When you apply for a duplicate CDL, you can make payment with cash or check. You can also use a Visa debit card, a Discover credit card, or a Mastercard debit or credit card. The Iowa DOT does not accept Visa credit cards.

Last updated on Friday, March 6 2020.