There are many reasons why you should submit an IA passport application. A passport card and/or book is an official document that can be used for many purposes, such as identification when writing checks or proof of U.S. citizenship when applying for Social Security benefits.

Most importantly, it is your ticket to traveling abroad to experience all the world has to offer outside of the U.S. It is the only document permitting you from exiting and reentering the country at any given moment.

There are several steps to obtaining a U.S. passport, including submitting the right passport application with the correct documentation. You may even need to provide additional documentation based on your eligibility. For example, if you are a minor you will need to show proof of parental awareness.

Furthermore, the application fee will differ if you are applying for an expedited passport. Before obtaining a new passport, read the following sections below to avoid experiencing any delays at your local acceptance facility.

Where to Get a Passport in Iowa

You can obtain an IA passport card and/or book at any passport acceptance facility authorized by the U.S. Department of State to assist residents who meet passport application requirements. An acceptance facility may include a public sector office, such as a post office, county recorder’s office or public library. Make sure to check your local acceptance facility’s site or call for more information regarding hours, appointments and acceptable payment methods.

Some facilities, like Polk County Recorder’s Office, may offer a designated time for walk-ins. If you have immediate plans to travel in less than three weeks, you must visit the Chicago passport agency or Minneapolis passport agency to apply for an IA expedited passport. You can request an appointment online or by calling the National Passport Information Center.

Note: When visiting the office for an expidited passport, you will need to provide proof of immediate travel.

Iowa Passport Books vs. Cards

What is a passport book? It is a small booklet that serves as a travel document when traveling inside and outside of the U.S. It contains a photo identification page, as well as several pages dedicated for visas stamps.

A passport booklet can be used for domestic and international travels by air, land and sea. Similarly, a passport card is a wallet-sized, REAL ID compliant card that can be used for domestic air travel. While it cannot be used for international air travel, it is valid for travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean by land or sea.

While a passport card cost is much cheaper than a passport book, it is much more restrictive than a passport book. This is a factor you must consider when deciding which document to obtain.

How to Get a Passport in Iowa

All first-time passport card applicants and minors must visit an acceptance facility or agency in person to submit an IA passport application. Additionally, residents will have to provide specific documentation based on their eligibility. All first-time applicants will need to provide the following:

  • A valid photo ID along with a photocopy
  • An original document proving U.S. citizenship along with a photocopy
  • A color photo that meets passport photo requirements
  • The appropriate US passport fees

If you are a parent getting a new passport for your child, you will need to provide proof of parental relationship (U.S. birth certificate or adoption decree) and parental consent. Additionally, you may apply for a passport if you are 16 or 17 years of age, as long as you show parental awareness. This includes a signed, notarized copy consenting to the issuance of a passport card and/or booklet from at least one of your parents. You will also need to provide a photocopy of that parent’s photo identification card.

U.S. Passport Renewals in Iowa

If your passport is expired, you must complete the process to renew a US passport in IA. Additionally, you can renew your passport while it is still valid, as some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months before visiting.

To renew your US passport, you must be eligible to complete the process by mail. This means the passport your return to the U.S. Department of State must meet all of the following requirements.

  • It is in good condition other than normal wear and tear.
  • It was issued when you were 16 years of age or older.
  • It was not issued more than 15 years ago.
  • It contains your current name, unless you can provide proof of legal name change.

If your passport does not meet the following qualifications listed above, you will not be able to renew your passport by mail and must obtain a new passport card and/or book in person. To renew your US passport by mail, you must send the following documentation to the National Passport Processing Center.

  • A S. passport application for renewal
  • Your recent U.S. passport
  • A passport photo that meets requirements
  • The appropriate US passport fees
  • Name change documents, if applicable (marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order)

Simply place the supporting documentation with the passport application in a large envelope. If you are requesting an expedited passport, write out “EXPEDITE” on the outside of the envelope. Upon submitting your application, you will receive your passport in less than four to six weeks.

How to Replace a Lost Passport in Iowa

Before replacing a lost or stolen passport in Iowa, you must file a report with the U.S. Department of State to protect yourself from identity fraud. Simply report the incident online, by mail or phone.

You will need to provide valuable information, such as how the passport card/book was stolen and where the theft occurred. Once this is completed, your passport will be voided invalid for use.

You may request an IA passport replacement by submitting the appropriate replacement application along with your lost passport form via mail. Additionally, you can obtain a replacement in person at the appropriate passport office, depending on how quickly you need the new passport. Simply provide the following documentation:

  • Proof of identity
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • A color passport photo
  • The appropriate US passport fees

You may also obtain a replacement if your current passport has been mutilated or damaged. A damaged passport includes a significant tear, missing pages, water damage and markings on the personal data page. In this case, you will need to submit the passport with the documentation listed above and a statement explaining its current condition.

How to Complete a Passport Update in Iowa

You want to make sure that your passport card and/or book is up-to-date and reflects your information accurately. Passport corrections and changes can be made if you legally changed your name, underwent a sex change or there was a misprint on your passport.

Name Change

To change your name on your passport, you must submit the proper passport application depending on when your passport was originally issued. If you are requesting a passport update in IA for a passport less than one year old, you must submit the following documentation by mail.

  • Your current U.S. passport
  • A passport correction application
  • A color passport photo
  • Certified proof of legal name change

If you are renewing your passport more than a year after it was issued, you must submit the documents listed above with a passport renewal application by mail. In this case, you will have to pay US passport fees. If you are ineligible to renew your US passport by mail, you will need to apply in person at your local acceptance facility with a standard passport application.

Passport Misprint

If you have any data or printing errors on your passport card and/or book, you can obtain a passport replacement that accurately reflects your information. Errors may include a misspelled name, distorted printing or discoloration of a passport page.

To receive a new passport, you must submit a passport update form, your current passport, a passport photo and proof of the error by mail. How much does it cost to renew your passport? In this case, you will not be charged for obtaining a new passport.

Sex Marker Change

If you have undergone a gender transition, you will be eligible to obtain a full 10-year passport that reflects the accurate gender. This means you have completed the appropriate clinical treatment as determined by your physician. If you are in the process of receiving clinical treatment for this transition, you may obtain a passport card that is valid for up to two years.

To apply for a passport with the updated gender information, you will need to provide a passport application, photo ID, passport photo and a name change document, if applicable. You must make sure that the photos you provide in each document resembles your current appearance. Additionally, you will need to provide a medical certification from your licensed physician stating that you are receiving or are in the process of receiving approved clinical treatment for your transition.

Iowa Expedited Passport Service

If you are a first-time applicant or are renewing your passport, you may apply for an expedited passport to speed up the process. All that is required is that you include the appropriate expedited service fee when submitting your passport application. You can request to receive your passport in less than four to six week at any acceptance facility.

If you need your passport sooner, you must visit your nearest regional passport agency to obtain a passport within two to three weeks. In the event of a family emergency, you may call the U.S. Department of State and provide proof of your extenuating circumstance. You will be eligible to receive an emergency passport within 72 hours.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.