To travel internationally, you must first complete a passport application in Indiana to receive a passport card and/or book. A passport will serve as your legal travel document, allowing you to travel through air internationally and be identified by governments around the world. If you have an upcoming trip planned abroad, you will need a U.S. passport to exit and reenter the country.

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs oversees the issuance of all passports processed in qualifying US passport locations. You can visit several passport offices located throughout Indiana to receive your passport for the first time.

If you are looking to renew your passport, you may do so by mail if you meet eligibility requirements. Additionally, you may receive an expedited passport for immediate travel plans at your regional passport agency. Read the sections below to find out more about the different passport services offered and how to obtain a new or updated U.S. passport.

Where to Get a Passport in Indiana

If you are a Hoosier looking to obtain an IN passport card and/or booklet, you must visit your nearest passport acceptance facility or regional passport agency office. A passport acceptance facility is a public sector office designated by the U.S. Department of State to accept and process IN passport applications. You must obtain your passport in person at an acceptance facility if you are a first-time applicant and/or minor.

A passport facility may include your nearest public library, post office or county clerk’s office. These US passport locations offer both regular and expedited services. You must call the facility of your choice to inquire about appointments and accepted payment methods.

If you would like to obtain your passport in two to three weeks or less, you must visit your regional passport agency. While there is no agency located in Indiana, you may visit your nearest agency, the Chicago passport agency. You must make an appointment online or by phone and provide proof or urgent international travel plans.

Indiana Passport Books vs. Cards

What is a passport book and a passport card and why are they different? If you are a traveling internationally, you will need a passport book to exit and reenter the U.S. A passport book is a formal booklet-style travel document containing blank pages designated for travel visas country entry and exit stamps.

On the other hand, a passport card is an ID card-sized travel document that can conveniently be placed in your wallet. It can be used to travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

However, it cannot be used for international air travel. A passport card cost significantly less than a passport book due to the limited access it provides to destinations overseas.

How to Get a Passport in Indiana

If you are looking to obtain an IN passport card and/or booklet for the first time, you must visit an acceptance facility or the Indiana passport agency in person. You will need to provide the proper passport application along with specific documentation based on your eligibility. These documents include:

  • A certified copy of proof of citizenship and a photocopy, like a U.S. birth certificate or certification of naturalization.
  • A government-issued photo ID along with a photocopy of the document’s front and back.
  • A document showing parental relationship if you are a parent applying on behalf of your child who is younger than 16 years of age (child’s U.S. birth certificate, adoption decree, divorce/custody decree).
  • A document proving parental consent if one parent is unable to appear, neither parents are available to appear, one parent cannot be located or you have sole custody of the child.
  • A color photo that meets all passport application

Make sure to call and ask your nearest passport acceptance facility if they provide photo services. If they do not, you can obtain a qualifying passport photo at your nearest Walmart or CVS pharmacy. Additionally, you will need to cover the passport card cost and pay an additional fee if you are requesting an expedited passport.

U.S. Passport Renewals in Indiana

To renew a US passport in Indiana, you must be eligible to submit a passport application by mail. If you do not meet eligibility requirements, you will need to obtain a new passport in person. To complete the process by mail, your passport card or book must:

  • Contain your current name
  • Be undamaged and in good condition
  • Have been issued within the past 15 years
  • Have been issued when you were 16 years of age or older

Once your eligibility has been determined, you must gather the necessary documentation. You must mail the documents along with your completed passport application to the National Passport Processing Center located in Philadelphia, PA. These supporting documents include:

  • Your previous U.S. passport
  • A color photo that meets passport photo requirements
  • The appropriate US passport fees
  • A name change document, if applicable

How to Replace a Lost Passport in Indiana

Before obtaining a U.S. passport replacement in Indiana, you must file a report with the U.S. Department of State regarding your lost or stolen passport. This requires that you submit a lost passport form online, by mail or that you provide the same requested information by phone. To replace your lost passport, you may send a passport application along with your completed report by mail.

You may also replace your passport in person at your local passport office. If you are traveling in three weeks or less, you must complete the process at the regional passport agency. Along with the appropriate application, you will need to provide the following documentation.

  • A color passport photo that meets all requirements
  • A passport replacement fee
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • Proof of Identity

If you have a mutilated or damaged passport, you must apply for a replacement before traveling. A passport that has significant damage to the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo will not be accepted.

To obtain an IN passport replacement, you must return your damaged passport with a signed statement explaining its condition along with the above documentation. Keep in mind that if you will need to replace other documents, like driver’s licenses, separately.

How to Complete a Passport Update in Indiana

If you recently changed your name or have gone through a sex transition, you may obtain an IN passport update with your new information. Additionally, you may update your passport if the information was misprinted. Changing your name on your passport requires that you submit the appropriate passport application and documentation, depending on when your passport was issued and whether you can provide proof of name change.

  • Less than one year: You must submit a passport correction application along with your current U.S. passport, a qualifying passport photo and a certified proof of name change by mail.
  • More than one year: If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, you will need to submit a passport renewal application, your most recent passport, a certified name change document and a color passport. You must apply in person if you are not able to renew your passport card and/or book by mail. In this case, you will need to provide a standard passport application and present a valid ID and evidence of U.S. citizenship along with photocopies.
  • Cannot provide name change proof: You will need to submit a standard application, a passport photo, proof of U.S. citizenship and a valid ID with your current name in person at passport office. Make sure to bring a photocopy of your ID as well.

How much does it cost to renew your passport?

US passport fees vary depending on when you are requesting an updated passport from the time it was originally issued. If you are getting a new passport in less than a year, you will receive your passport card and/or book at no cost unless you are requesting expedited service.

On the other hand, you will need to pay to renew your passport if it has been more than a year since it was issued. If you need to correct a data or printing error on your passport, you may replace your passport at no charge. You will need to submit a passport correction application along with your passport, a color passport photo and evidence of the error.

Change of Sex Marker

If you have completed a sex transition as an adult, you may receive an updated passport that is valid for 10 years. Your passport may be valid for up to five years if you are a minor. If you are in the process of transitioning your sex, you may receive a passport card and/or book that is limited to up to two years.

To update your passport with your new identity, you will need to provide the following:

  • A current photo ID
  • Evidence of legal name change, if applicable
  • An updated passport photo
  • A medical certification from a physician verifying completion of clinical treatment for a sex change
  • Your limited-validity passport book if you are replacing your passport after two years

Indiana Expedited Passport Service

If you submit a passport application for routine service, you will receive your passport card and/or book in more than four to six weeks. To receive your passport quicker, you must pay an additional fee for expedited service. You may obtain an expedited passport in less than four to six weeks if you apply at your nearest acceptance facility.

To obtain a passport in two to three weeks, you must visit the Chicago passport agency. If you are in a life-or-death emergency, you may receive your passport in 72 hours. Simply call the U.S. Department of State and provide proof of a serious injury, illness of death in your immediate family. This may include a death certificate or a signed letter from a medical professional.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.