Passports in Mississippi
You should submit a passport application for a US passport before making international travel plans. A passport is required for all foreign travel, which means obtaining one should be a priority. In addition to providing you with the freedom to travel, a passport also serves as an additional form of identification. You can use it to prove your citizenship, age, residence and more. Therefore, you should apply for a US passport even if you do not have travel plans.
A passport is a document that grants you all the travel privileges of citizens in your country. The US passport is accepted at more than 170 countries around the world, making it a particularly powerful document. However, the process for obtaining a passport can take more than a month to complete. The passport application process includes submitting multiple legal documents, which you may not have on hand. The sections below describe where to get a passport, what kinds there are, how to get one, and how to renew or alter one. Additionally, you will learn how to expedite your application if you’re in a hurry.
Where to Get a Passport in Mississippi
There are two kinds of passport facilities: a passport acceptance facility and a passport agency. A passport acceptance facility is where you complete and submit your passport application. Passport acceptance facilities are typically found in United States Postal Offices. There are 89 US passport facility locations throughout Mississippi. You can find your nearest passport acceptance facility through the US Department of State (DOS) website. Some acceptance facilities require appointments to receive applications.
You can also skip the acceptance facility and apply directly to a passport agency. An agency can process your application faster than a facility can. There is no passport agency in the state of Mississippi. Instead, the closest agency is the New Orleans Passport Agency. You can make an appointment to apply directly to a passport agency under special circumstances. If you qualify, you can shorten the expected waiting period from four weeks to two weeks.
Mississippi Passport Books vs. Cards
When applying for a US passport, applicants are often confused by the question of book or card. What is a passport book, what is a passport card and which one is the right one. A passport book is a small, handheld book with a blue cover. Gold lettering on the front depicts the United States seal and labels it as a passport. Inside, the first page contains vital information about the passport holder, including a photo. After that, several blank pages are provided for visa stamps.
A passport card is a small ID issued by the DOS. Considered the unofficial national ID card of the United States, it contains the same identifying information your passport book does. Because it is smaller, it can be more convenient to carry than a passport book. A passport card costs less than a book does. However, a passport card cannot be used for international air travel. Instead, the card can only be used to travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean through land or sea ports. Before submitting a passport application, make sure you know which one you need. You can order both if you wish.
How to Get a Passport in Mississippi
To learn how to obtain a passport, read the passport application form carefully. Anyone who holds citizenship is eligible to complete the process, regardless of age. Additionally, all citizens traveling abroad must carry a passport. If you are applying for a new passport, you must submit your application in person to a passport acceptance facility. To complete the passport application process, you must provide the following documents:
- Application for a US passport – This must be filled out completely. Specify if you want a book, card or both.
- Evidence of US citizenship – This can be a birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or certificate of citizenship. Other documents may be accepted as well.
- Photocopy of citizenship evidence – You must photocopy both sides of the document.
- Proof of ID – This can be a driver’s license, state ID card or expired US passport.
- Photocopy of ID proof – Like the citizenship evidence, this should be photocopied front and back.
- Evidence of parental relationship (if applying for child under 16 years of age) – This can be a birth certificate, adoption certificate and more. If a child between 16-17 years of age, only parental awareness is needed. This can be in the form of a parent accompanying a child.
- US passport fees – Fees vary by type of document requested, age and where you are applying.
A complete list of acceptable proofs of citizenship, ID and parental evidence can be found on the DOS website. Additionally, you must pay US passport fees to both the agency and the acceptance facility. You must pay an execution fee and an acceptance fee for a passport application. If you are applying for a passport for a child, the fees will be reduced. After completing and submitting your application, wait for the agency to process your request. You will receive your passport in four to six weeks.
U.S. Passport Renewals in Mississippi
A standard adult US passport expires after 10 years, while a child’s passport expires after five years. Children’s passports cannot be renewed. However, if your adult passport is almost expired or past its expiration date, you can renew your US passport. You can renew passports through the mail, saving you a trip to a passport acceptance facility. However, you can only renew your passport if you meet all the eligibility requirements:
- You have your old US passport.
- Your old passport is not significantly damaged.
- Your old passport is an adult passport.
- Your old passport was issued within the last 15 years.
- Your old passport was issued in your current name, or you can prove a name change with legal documents.
If all are true, you can renew your passport through the mail. If all statements do not apply to you, you must instead apply for a new passport. To renew your passport, you do not have to provide as much documents. However, you will have to provide the following:
- US Passport Renewal Application
- Your most recent US passport
- Name change documents, if applicable
- Passport photo
- US passport fees
How much does it cost to renew your passport? You only have to pay the application fee rather than the execution fee. You should include payment in a check addressed to the US Department of State. Additionally, include your name and date of birth on the check. Send your passport application to the address on the renewal form. You will receive your renewed US passport in the mail in four to six weeks.
How to Replace a Lost Passport in Mississippi
If your passport is stolen, lost or damaged, you should take steps to replace it immediately. Do not ignore a lost or stolen passport, and do not throw out a damaged passport. Because passports have vital identifying information, they can be used to commit identity theft. You can easily report a missing passport online through the DOS website. Complete and submit the Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. You don’t have to order a new passport to report a missing passport. However, if you want to replace a lost passport, you will have to report it missing.
Complete the regular new passport application process. Submit the proper form. If your passport is damaged, you can include a signed statement explaining the damage instead. Pay any regular passport fees. You will receive your passport replacement in four to six weeks.
How to Complete a Passport Update in Mississippi
You can complete a passport update if the information on your passport is incorrect or outdated. Whether you have to pay fees depends on the type of change you wish to make. You do not have to update your passport if you move within the United States.
- Correct your name – You can easily correct the name on your passport if it has changed. However, the process differs depending on when your last passport was issued. If it was issued in the past year, submit a form requesting a correction and provide evidence of the change of name. You do not have to pay passport fees. If it was issued more than a year ago, apply to renew your passport and provide the necessary documents. Include all relevant passport fees.
- Correct data or printing errors – If there is incorrect data on your passport, you can submit the corrections form and request a change. Include evidence of the error if available. You will not have to pay fees for a passport update for printing or data errors.
Note: To complete a gender marker change on your passport, you must supply medical certification of your transition. You can receive a limited validity passport for two years during your transition. After you complete your transition, you can apply for a regular passport with your updated gender marker.
Mississippi Expedited Passport Service
You can pay an additional fee to have your passport expedited during the application or renewal process. This shortens the waiting period from four to six weeks to three to four weeks. Additionally, you can get it renewed faster if you meet special circumstances.
If you are traveling in less than three weeks, you can set up a passport appointment with the nearest passport agency. You will have to pay all necessary US passport fees, including the expedite fee. However, applying this way will enable you to get your passport in less than two weeks.
Finally, you can get your passport in less than three days because of a life-or-death emergency. Life-or-death emergencies include a family member who is gravely injured, ill or dead. Contact the DOS to set up an emergency appointment. Bring all necessary documents, including evidence of an emergency, standard fees and the expedite fee. You will receive your expedited passport in under 72 hours.