Before you take your ride on Mississippi roads, you must establish financial responsibility for it. Getting insurance for your two-wheeled vehicle means that you can legally operate it.

Two-Wheeled Vehicles

  • Any two-wheeled vehicle with a motor of 50 ccs or more is a motorcycle. These rides require registration and proper liability insurance.
  • Vehicles that have motors under 50 cc are defined as mopeds/scooters. Both rides require registration and insurance if you plan to operate them on Mississippi roads.

For more information about the type of your two-wheeled cycle or its insurance requirements, please call (601) 420-6342.

Motorcycle Insurance Requirements

In order to meet the state’s minimum financial responsibility requirements, you must purchase a liability insurance coverage that provides:

  • $25,000 per person per single accident.
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury.
  • $25,000 per accident for property damage.

Helmet Requirements

Regardless of the amount of insurance you have, wearing protective headgear is an obligation, whenever you operate a motorcycle, moped, or scooter. Also, your helmet must be approved by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, as that is state’s law.

Financial Responsibility and Proof of Insurance

To establish financial responsibility in Mississippi you must purchase liability coverage from a licensed company to sell insurance in the state. If a law enforcement officer pulls you over or you’re involved in an accident, you will need to show a valid insurance card which will be issued after purchasing the motorcycle insurance. The insurance card presents proof of insurance.


A first-time offense brings a fine of $1,000 and a year-long registration suspension, second-time offenses are even stiffer.

Note: Operators can generally reinstate their registrations once they can prove financial responsibility. For additional information about liability insurance requirements and what to do to in case of suspended registration, contact the State Tax Commission’s Motor Vehicle Licensing at (601) 987-1212.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.