In the state of New Hampshire, you have no obligation to carry liability insurance, or show any proof of financial responsibility, to ride your two-wheeled vehicle. However, the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may require you to take out an SR-22 liability policy if any of the following happen:

  • Being involved in an accident.
  • A conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • A traffic violation conviction that triggers a review.
  • Multiple reckless driving convictions.

Two-Wheeled Vehicles

Here is how the state defines the two-wheeled rides:

  • A vehicle with an engine of 50 cubic centimeters or less that doesn’t have more than two horsepower; can’t reach speeds of over 30 miles per hour on a flat surface, and can’t shift is defined as a moped/scooter.

If your ride exceeds these limits, DMV considers it to be a motorcycle. Contact the DMV at (603) 271-2251 if you are not sure whether your vehicle is a cycle.

Insurance Requirements for Private Passenger Vehicles

To meet the state’s SR-22 insurance requirements means to have at least the following protection:

  • $25,000 of coverage for injuries or death occurring to one person in an accident.
  • $25,000 of property damage coverage per accident.
  • $50,000 of coverage for injuries or deaths occurring to more than one person in an accident.

It is a good decision to purchase a vehicle liability policy, even if there is no obligation of doing so. You can not predict accidents and they can cost you dearly sometimes, especially if you don’t have insurance coverage.

If the accident has been your fault the DMV can suspend your license in case you are not able to pay for the injured party’s property and medical bills. See the form at the top of the page. You can use it to get instant insurance quotes, and it can also help you save money on motorcycle insurance in the future.

Helmet Requirements

Riders under 18 regardless if they are operating a motorcycle or are there just for the ride must wear some sort of approved safety headgear.

Financial Responsibility

In case the DMV requires you to present proof of financial responsibility the only way to do that is by carrying acceptable levels of bodily injury and property damage SR-22 liability insurance. Your policy must be active for three years, most of the time, but that can vary depending on your situation.

Proof of Insurance

Your insurance company automatically notifies the DMV if your coverage stops. However, you still have to keep your insurance certificate or identification card with you so that you can provide it upon request.


If you don’t keep your insurance policy current, and have no proof of insurance you could face a license and registration suspension. To reinstate both, you’ll have to present proof that you have adequate insurance, as well as pay any associated reinstatement fees.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.