It is important to prepare your New Hampshire passport card or book before you solidify any plans to travel abroad. This is due to the fact that a valid passport document is required in order to travel internationally.

Without one, you are unable to enter most foreign countries, or re-enter the United States. If you do not have one already, you need to submit an NH passport application to prepare for your trip.

Passports also provide sufficient proof of US citizenship and can be used for photo identification. With this in mind, it is vital that you report a stolen or lost passport to protect yourself from identity theft.

To prevent the loss or damage of your passport, make sure to keep it in a safe place at all times, especially while travelling. Use the guidelines provided below to learn more information on the application process for a U.S. passport.  

Where to Get a Passport in New Hampshire

In order to submit an NH passport application for the first time, you are required to apply in person. In general, there are two types of locations you that accept applications throughout the year, including:

  • Acceptance facilities: A passport acceptance facility is a local public or government location that handles the review process. Examples include libraries, post offices and universities. Once your application is approved, the acceptance facility sends the documents to the US Department of State for final processing.
  • Passport agencies: Official agencies are different from acceptance facilities because they provide expedited processing for passports needed in under three weeks. To get this type of expedited passport in New Hampshire, the closest location is the National Passport Center in Portsmouth. More information on this option is provided in a later section

Whichever option you choose to apply for your passport, you will need to make an appointment in advance. Before you do so, you need to decide what type of passport document you want.

New Hampshire Passport Books vs Cards

On your application, you can choose between the card or book option, or opt to obtain both at the same time. To make your decision it is important to ask “What is a passport book, and how is it different from the card?” In general, the main differences between these two options are the material, the reason for use and the price.

A passport card is a laminated document that appears similar to a driver license. Alternatively, the book provides consist of a passport page with additional pages for entry stamps from other countries. While you can use the book for any form of international travel, the card is more limited.

You can only use your card to travel across ports-of-entry by land or sea. Additionally, the passport card cost is significantly cheaper than the cost of the book. The application process is the same regardless, which enables you to choose either or both based on your needs.

How to Get a Passport in New Hampshire

Whether replacing a lost passport or applying for the first time, applicants must visit an acceptance facility or passport center in person. Children younger than 16 must have at least one parent present, and provide proof of consent from both parents to apply.

Similarly, applicants between the ages of 16 and 17 require proof of parental awareness. The following documents are also required for getting a new passport:

  • Valid photo identification. Make sure to provide the original or a certified copy.
  • Proof of citizenship. This must also be an original or certified copy.
  • Photocopies of both the above documents. These will be mailed to the U.S. Department of State along with your application.
  • A passport photo. If the facility you plan to visit does not provide photo services, you must visit a third party business that provides passport photo services.
  • The application and execution fees. Application fee payments are only accepted as check or money orders made out to the U.S. Department of State. Call your chosen acceptance facility ahead of time to determine the accepted payment methods for execution fees.

If you need to replace lost passport documents or apply for renewal, you must fulfill other requirements. These processes are further outlined below.

U.S. Passport Renewals in New Hampshire

In some cases, you can apply to renew US passport documents through the mail. However, to do so you must meet certain qualifications first. Otherwise, you are required to apply for a new document in person.

You are likely eligible to renew by mail if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • You do not require passport replacement for a lost, stolen or damaged document
  • You passport is less than 15 years old
  • Your current passport was issued later than your 16th birthday
  • Your passport reflects your current legal name, or you have a certified name change document.

If you are eligible for U.S. passport renewal in NH, you need to mail in several documents with your application. Make sure to include a new passport photo, your current passport document, the fee payment and any name change certificates. Send these documents to the National Passport Processing Center located in Philadelphia.

The next important questions is “How much does it cost to renew your passport?” Currently, the cost for renewal is the same as the price for a new passport document.

How to Replace a Lost Passport in New Hampshire

In order to qualify for passport renewal by mail, you must be able to submit an undamaged passport with your application. A damaged passport is not accepted for travel or identification purposes, and therefore requires replacement. To do so, you must follow the same steps involved in applying for a new passport.

On the other hand, a lost or stolen passport requires immediate action. You must report missing passport documents to the U.S. Department of State to avoid the possibility of identity theft. In the event that your passport is lost or stolen, there are three ways to file a report:

  • Online
  • By mail
  • Over the phone

If you choose the phone method, you must submit a lost passport form when you apply for a new passport. Otherwise, this form is completed when you file a report online or through the mail. Either way, you must apply for a new book or card in person. Once the missing passport is reported, it becomes invalid and cannot be used again.

How to Complete a Passport Update in New Hampshire

Your passport document is meant to reflect your most current appearance, name and other relevant information. As such, you may need to apply for an updated document at some point. It may also be necessary to make a correction if your passport card or book includes an error.

In order to update a passport, you must provide certain documents that verify the necessary change. Examples of acceptable documents include:

  • Medical certification from a physician. This is required to request a sex marker change.
  • A marriage certificate or signed court order. The marriage certificate is not necessary if you are able to provide a driver’s license that reflects your married name.
  • Evidence that a correction is needed. You can do this by providing a photocopy of a correct document, such as a birth certificate.

You must submit your current passport, supporting documents, fee payment and a passport photo reflecting your current appearance with your application. If you are applying for a name change, US passport fees are waived if your current document is less than one year old. These fees are also waived for corrections.

New Hampshire Expedited Passport Service

The routine processing time for a passport application is generally between four and six weeks. However, it is possible to speed up the process when you select the expedited processing option for an additional fee.

If you need to receive your passport within two to three weeks, you can apply at an acceptance facility to request this. You can also choose to expedite the renewal process, when you write “expedite” on the envelope containing your application.

In the event that you need your passport expedited sooner, you need to make an appointment with a passport center. At your appointment, you must present proof of your plans to travel internationally within less than two weeks. One of the nearest US passport locations for NH residents includes the National Passport Center located in Portsmouth.  

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.