Kentucky residents must insure and register every motorcycle (and some two-wheeled vehicles) they own, before they can operate them on state roads. You can get a motorcycle insurance right here on this page by using the insurance form you see at the top of this page.

Two-Wheeled Vehicles

See how the state of Kentucky defines motorcycles and other two-wheeled vehicles:

  • A motorcycle is a motorized bicycle with an engine of 50 cc or more, and can travel faster than 30 mph. Motorcycles must be registered and insured so they can be legally operated on state roads.
  • Mopeds are motorized bicycles with an automatic transmission, with engine less than 50 cc, and ability to travel no faster than 30 mph. They also must be registered and insured.
  • A scooter has an automatic transmission and it is usually smaller than a motorcycle or moped in size and engine capacity. Scooters don’t need to be registered and insured.

Contact the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KTC) if you have doubts whether your two-wheeled vehicle needs registration and thus insurance. Contact the title and registration department at (502) 564-5301 or the insurance department at (800) 595-6053 for more information.

Motorcycle Insurance Requirements

If you want to register and legally operate your motorcycle or moped on state roads, you must buy liability insurance. There is also an option to purchase no-fault insurance.

Liability Insurance

Make sure you policy includes the following amounts of insurance:

  • $10,000 pf property damage liability per accident.
  • $25,000 of bodily injury liability per person in an accident.
  • $50,000 for all bodily injuries per accident.

Don’t forget that you always have an option to add additional types of insurance that exceed state requirements but provide more protection.

No-Fault Insurance

No-fault personal injury insurance is optional for motorcycles and mopeds. When you have no-fault insurance, your coverage provides up to $10,000 of financial compensation when someone is injured and acquires medical bills; loses employment wages, or needs replacement services, regardless of who caused the accident. If you have no-fault insurance, your rights to sue the responsible party in case of an accident are limited.

Helmet Requirements

The Kentucky law says that every motorcycle operator or passenger younger than 21 must wear a safety helmet. Wearing a helmet is an option for riders older than 21.

Financial Responsibility and Proof of Insurance

In the state of Kentucky, the only way to establish financial responsibility is to purchase liability coverage from a licensed insurance provider. You must be able to show proof of insurance whenever asked.

Make sure your insurance card is with you always, in case you need to present it to a law enforcement officer, or when you renew/transfer a vehicle’s registration.


If you don’t have a proof of insurance you could be facing hefty fines and revocation of your driver’s license/registration. Contact the KOI at (800) 595-6053 or the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing at (502) 564-5301, for more detailed information on this subject.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.