Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any circuit clerk's office in Kentucky. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle permit.
New Applicants Over 18
Listed below are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle permit:
- Complete the application form - original must be submitted in person; no photocopies are allowed.
- Have your picture taken.
- Give a thumb print.
- Pay an application fee.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the pass the written examination. See practice tests for more information on the written exam
New Applicants between 16 and 18
In addition to the above requirements, applicants under 18 must:
- Already possess s regular license.
- Have parent/guardian sign a consent form.
Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given a learner's permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Learner's Permit Restrictions
With your instruction permit you are not permitted to:
- Drive on the highway.
- Drive during the evening.
- Ride with any passengers.
Applying for a Motorcycle License
- Book an appointment with an on-road testing station.
- On passing the test you will be issued a license or and endorsement on your existing one.
There is a $24 fee for a license. If the application expires, some steps to acquiring the permit or license may have to be repeated.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is required for all motorcycles operated in Kentucky.