How to Apply for a New Jersey Motorcycle License
Guide to applying for a NJ motorcycle license. Required ID, age limits, drivers ed, fees, driving restrictions, etc
You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any MVC office in New Jersey. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle permit.
When applying for a motorcycle permit, you must be 17 years of age or older. Listed below are the requirements to obtain a permit:
- Complete a motorcycle permit application from a MVC office.
- Pass the 6 Point ID Verification.
- Pay the $5 fee. Most credit cards, checks, money orders and cash are accepted.
- Pass the knowledge test. Study both the Motorcycle Manual and the driver manual. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
- Pass the vision test.
Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given a motorcycle permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Motorcycle Permit Restrictions
You must ride at all times under the guidance of a licensed operator.
Applying for a Motorcycle License
Instead of taking the road test you can take the Motorcycle Safety Education Program and bring your certificate to the Driver Testing Center. Otherwise, you can:
- Schedule an appointment with the Driver Testing Center and be sure to bring a registered, insured motorcycle to take the road test.
- On passing the test, take your permit, ride slip and score sheet to a MVC office to receive your license.
- Pay the $24 fee.
There is a $5 application fee for your permit and a $24 fee for your license. If the application expires, some steps to acquiring the permit or license may have to be repeated.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner’s Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver’s Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is required for all motorcycles operated in New Jersey.