An Alaska motorcycle license is an official document issued by the state Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) that authorizes the holder to legally operate a motorcycle within the state. Qualified riders can obtain a license through a local Alaska DMV office. Note that the division issues several classes of licenses, which vary based on the vehicle engine size and the wheel configuration. An M1 license is issued for motorcycles with an engine displacement of over 50cc. To operate a motor-driven cycle with a smaller engine or a three-wheeled motorcycle, you will require an M2 or an M3 license. To learn more about the application process for a motorcycle license in AK and to review the applicable requirements, review the following sections.

Motorcycle License Requirements in Alaska

When applying for a motorbike license, applicants will be required to meet several requirements set by the state. Note that the eligibility criteria for a DMV motorcycle license will vary based on several factors, such as the applicant’s age, the type of requested license and whether or not the applicant already has a standard driver’s license. To obtain a full bike license in AK for a motorcycle with an engine greater than 50 cc displacement, an applicant must:

  • Be at least 16 years old.
  • Hold an instruction permit for a minimum of 6 months if younger than 18 years old.
  • Not have an active driving license suspension on their driving record.
  • Prove that they are mentally and physically fit to operate a motorcycle.
  • Prove that they have the theoretical and practical knowledge to ride a motorcycle.
  • Submit the required identification documents.

If you are applying for an M2 bike license for a motor-driven cycle, such as a motor scooter or a motorized bicycle, you must be at least 14 years old.

The documents necessary to get motorcycle license credentials must include proofs of your name, birth date, state residency and Social Security Number (SSN). If you have made changes to your name, you will also need an official proof of your name change. Note that the state DMV requires the submission of one primary and one secondary identification document. Also, if you are applying for a DMV motorcycle license in AK as a minor (younger than 18 years of age), you will need a parental consent form.

If you are licensed by another state, you can easily replace a motorcycle license by surrendering your out-of-state credential, submitting the required documents and passing the state written exam and vision test. In these cases, you will not be required to take the DMV on-cycle test.

Alaska Motorcycle License Training Courses

Applicants for a full bike license are not required to complete a motorcycle training course to obtain a license in the state. However, by completing an approved driving course, riders will improve their knowledge of safe riding practices and practical skills. Also, if you have a recent course certificate when applying for an AK motorbike license, you will not have to take the standard driving tests. The courses offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) are currently the only courses officially approved by the state DMV.

Alaska Motorcycle License Tests

To earn a DMV motorcycle license in Alaska, riders will be required to pass several tests designed to check their physical and mental fitness and their ability to safely operate a motorcycle. The typical tests administered when getting a motorcycle license in AK include a vision screening, a written knowledge test and a road test. Note that when requesting an instructional permit, you will not be required to take the road test. Also, if you are presenting a class M permit when you are applying for a license credentials, you will not be required to take the written exam.

To pass the vision test when getting a motorcycle license in AK, you will be required to prove that you have 20/40 vision in each eye or both eyes together. The written knowledge exam will cover topics like road rules and regulations, road signs and more. Note that if you are applying for an instruction permit or an M2 bike license, you will also be required to pass the driving license written exam. To complete the road skills test, on the other hand, you will be required to provide the required type of motorcycle head and eye protection.

Alaska bike license applicants who complete an MSF course and present the certificate of completion when applying will be exempted from taking the knowledge and road tests. Note that the MSF certificate is valid as an examination waiver for one year from the date of issuance.

The Alaska Motorcycle License Application Process

Getting your motorbike license in Alaska is a process composed of several steps, which will vary based on factors like your age and the type of license you are requesting. When applying for a license, you will also be required to make several office visits, since the DMV does not allow you to obtain a motorcycle license online and you must complete additional steps after submitting the initial paperwork. In most cases, the steps to get a DMV M1 license in AK include the following:

  • Apply for an instruction permit and hold it for at least 6 months if you are younger than 18.
  • Visit a DMV branch office and fill out an application for a license.
  • Pass the vision test and the written motorcycle knowledge test if you cannot present an instruction permit.
  • Submit the supporting documentation and pay the applicable fees.
  • Take and pass the road skills test.
  • Make a second office visit to submit proof of a passed on-cycle test or an MSF course certificate.

Note: You can schedule your road test through the official DMV website.

After meeting the applicable requirements, the state DMV will issue you a provisional motorcycle license if you are younger than 18 years of age before you get your motorcycle endorsement in the state. During the provisional license phase, which will last for at least 6 months, you will be required to abide by certain driving restrictions.

Alaska Motorcycle License Fees

When applying for your license, you will be required to arrange payment for the motorcycle license cost as one of the last steps in the application process. The fees for a full bike license in AK is currently set at $20. However, you will also have to provide payment for other fees, such as a $15 road test fee and an additional $15 fee for the DMV motorcycle permit, provided you are required to hold a license permit. These fees do not include vehicle registration fees for motorcycles.

Last updated on Wednesday, September 26 2018.

Have a Question? Get Quick Online Answers!