Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any MVD office in New Mexico. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle permit.
New Applicants Over 18
When applying for a Motorcycle permit you will be applying for a Class M1 license. Listed below are the requirements to obtain a Class M1 license:
- Complete the application form - original must be submitted in person; no photocopies are allowed.
- Have your picture taken. Give a thumb print.
- Pay an application fee.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the [ signs and traffic laws examination] (3 chances to pass). See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
- Book an appointment for your written examination by calling 1-800-777-0133 OR please see your local MVD office for hours and locations.
New Applicants Between below 18
In addition to the above requirements, applicants under 18 must:
- Provide a parent/guardian signature on the consent form.
- Present proof that you have finished driver's education and driver training OR present your New Mexico driver's license. Please see Driver's Education and Driving Schools for additional details.
- Provide proof of here.
- Present your proof of legal presence.
- Present your residency or two alternative documents.
Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)
Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given an instruction permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle supervised by a driver sitting behind you aged 21 or above and who has held a motorcycle license in any state for at least three years.
Persons aged thirteen to sixteen are eligible for a permit for motorcycles up to an engine capacity of 100cc only.
Instruction Permit Restrictions
With your instruction permit you are not permitted to:
- Drive on the highway.
- Drive between midnight and 5 am except under certain conditions.
- Ride with any passengers.
If you are fifteen and a half years old, held an instruction permit for at least six months, attended a driver education course which includes DWI education and completed 50 hours of practice driving including 10 hours after dark (certified by parent or guardian) then you are eligible for a provisional license.
Applying for a Motorcycle Endorsement
- Schedule a driving test with MVD office.
- Take your license and your provisional motorcycle license with you.
The fees are $18 for a four year license and $34 for an eight year license.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is required for all motorcycles operated in New Mexico.