Duplicate title application info in the case of a lost, stolen or damaged NM vehicle title
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title form.
- If you are absent for some reason, a legal, authorized person can get a replaced title with a notarized power of attorney from you.
- You need to carry your driver's license and current registration, or mail copies of the same if you are out of New Mexico.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- If your title shows a lien holder, you must include a completed lien release with your application.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $16.50 duplicate title fee. Checks and money orders should be payable to the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your local MVD field office, or if out of New Mexico, you can mail the package to:
Motor Vehicle Division Services Bureau P.O. Box 1028 Santa Fe, NM 87504-1028