is a privately owned website. Privacy

How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Illinois

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Vehicle Registration Online Services Guide

You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.


  1. Complete the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) form, making sure to indicate on the form that you are applying for a duplicate title. You must also mention the reason for requesting for a duplicate. You must obtain the form from your local Secretary of State's office. You can also call office at (800) 252 8980 and ask for it to be mailed to you.
  2. If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must provide the exact vehicle identification number and the last license plate number.
  3. Your request will be processed within two to three weeks.
  4. If a lien is involved the duplicate title will be mailed to the lien holder and hence you must provide the complete name and address of the holder.


Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $95 duplicate title fee. A salvage certificate will cost $4 while a junking certificate will be issued free of charge.


You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title in person at your local Secretary of State's office or mail the package to:

Office of the Secretary of State
Vehicle Records Processing Division
501 S. 2nd St., Room 424
Springfield, IL 62756-6666    


  • If more than two to three weeks have passed since you applied for a replacement title, you can check the status of the application by calling Illinois (800) 252 8980, Chicago (312) 793 1010 or Springfield (217) 782 6306.
  • To protect against fraud the Vehicle Services Department will not issue a duplicate title within 15 days of issuing an original title and 30 days of issuing a duplicate title.
  • See also Title Transfers, Replacing Your License, and Replacing your Registration.
  • See also Address Changes and Bill of Sale.

Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By