Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
Duplicate title application information in the case of a lost, stolen or damaged SD vehicle title
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- A completed Application for Duplicate certificate of title.
- Once completed, you must have the application form properly notarized.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- If your vehicle is 10 years or older, and /or has a gross weight rating of 16000 lbs or less, you need to submit its odometer reading as well.
- If your title shows a lien holder, you must include a Lien Release with your application, or get your application for duplicate certificate of title signed by the lien holder.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $10 duplicate title fee.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your local county treasurer's office, or mail the package to:
Duplicate Title Section Division of Motor Vehicles 445 East Capitol Avenue Pierre, SD 57501-3185