is a privately owned website.* Privacy

How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Georgia

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Vehicle Registration Online Services Guide

You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.


  1. Complete the Application for a Replacement Registration Certificate.
  2. Once completed, the application form must be signed by the record owner. In the case of joint ownership, each owner's signature is required.
  3. If you are the current owner, you must write the word 'current' beside your signature and must provide a copy of the document transferring ownership.
  4. If you go in person to the county tag office with your driving license, description of the vehicle (year, model, make of the vehicle, vehicle's odometer reading unless exempt from odometer disclosure requirements and vehicle identification number) and supporting documents, the form can be printed for your signature and processing will be initiated.
  5. If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
  6. If your title shows a lienholder, you must include a completed and notarized Lien Release form with your application.


Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit an $8 duplicate title fee, plus a processing fee of $1. Checks and money orders should be payable to the Office of the Tax Commissioner. Personal checks must include your name, address, date of birth, and driver license number.


You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your county tag office or the in-person Customer Service Operations of the MVD. At the MVD there will be an additional charge of $10 special handling fee per application.


Submitted by kathy meadows on 27th Oct 2015

my son buy a car from a

my son buy a car from a friend but they lost the tile to the car so we need a new tile the last ower was from ga so please tell me what I can do to get a tile for the car

Submitted by mikeclark30 on 2nd Sep 2015

I own a 2005 Cadillac that I

I own a 2005 Cadillac that I bought in 2007. I moved to Texas in 2013 and returned in April 2015 (this year). How can I get a duplicate title?

Submitted by vinan23 (not verified) on 2nd Jun 2013

I am a former georgia

I am a former georgia resident living in Brooklyn NY, I now have a NY License and no longer have a GA license. I need to get a copy of the Title of my Car that was regsitered in GA how do I go about getting that

Submitted by dobertein (not verified) on 29th Jan 2013

If I buy a very old vehicle

If I buy a very old vehicle that I wish to restore that the current owner does not possess a title for how can I get a title for the vehicle? It is common for very old discarded cars to no longer have a title but if you restore the vehicle to new it would be nice to have a title for it because it has a greater value restored.

Submitted by sonsun (not verified) on 14th May 2012

If I paid off a use motor

If I paid off a use motor cycle from a dealership in PA and the title was from Georgia under someone else name and I lost the title without transferring the title over to my name, How could I received another title if the bike was pay off and i can't get in contract with the original owner.

Submitted by captainb53 (not verified) on 19th Jan 2012

I am a former resident of GA

I am a former resident of GA and now reside in WV. My lien with Toyota Financial has been paid in full. what exactly do you require from Toyota and me? Can this be done by mail?

Submitted by Anonymous on 9th Mar 2011

lost title: we are from

lost title: we are from Louisiana and are trying to get a duplicate title. do i fill out the mv-5 form only?? can this be done by mail


samantha stevens

Submitted by calvin apige (not verified) on 11th Feb 2009

how can you get your licnes

how can you get your licnes for anf aircraft and for a motor vechile to because i was told that you can not have to licnes so that was the question.