Most new boats must be registered through the Wildlife Resources Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources before they can be sailed.
VESSELS THAT REQUIRE REGISTRATION
- Any powerboat
- Sailboats longer than 12 feet
VESSELS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION
- Sailboats less than 12 feet in length
- Any boat that is propelled only by oars or paddles like canoes, rowboats, or kayaks
- Boats registered in another state, if they will not be used for more than 60 days in Georgia
- Boats that will be exclusively operated in private ponds.
TO REGISTER IN PERSON
- You can register a boat in person by visiting your local Georgia Department of Natural Resources Office.
- You must bring a completed boat registration application (available at the offices of Wildlife Resources Division of Department of Natural Resources or with boat dealers, hardware stores etc).
- Your boat must have a Hull Identification Number for registration to proceed. If your boat is home made or if it doesn't have a HIN, you should first apply for one.
TO REGISTER BY U.S. MAILThe filled-in boat registration application and fees can also be mailed to:
Department of Natural Resources Boat Registration Office P.O. Box 105310 Atlanta, GA 30348-5310
TO REGISTER ONLINETo register your boat online, just go to the DNR online registration site.
TO REGISTER BY TELEPHONECall 1-800-366-2661 where you will get instruction on which documents you need to send by mail. You will get a temporary authorization number which you can use as a registration for 60 days.
FEESBoat registration fees vary, depending on the year of registration and whether the applicant is a State resident or not and on the size of the boat. See here for a more detailed breakdown of the registration fees In addition, vessels registered in Georgia are subject to property taxes in the county in which the vessel is stored or moored.
- Both the vessel registration number and hull identification numbers must be clearly displayed on the vessel, according to Georgia requirements.
- Commercial vessels of five net tons or more or 30 feet or more in length can optionally be registered with the U.S. Coast Guard. Call 1-800-799-8362 for additional information.
- For additional information, see the Georgia Boating Regulations.