How to Change Your Name on Your Drivers License in Georgia
Motorists may apply for a Georgia drivers license name change through the state Department of Driver Services (DDS). As such, drivers must change name on driving license documents, identification cards and learner permits whenever their legal name changes after a marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason. Failure to notify the state of a legal name modification can result in costly penalties, complications during vehicle- and driving-related manners as well as problems when identification does not reflex the cardholder’s legal name.
In addition to applying for a change of name on driving license documents or identification cards, drivers must change the name on their Social Security cards as well. Motorists cannot apply for a DMV name change until they update their information with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The state verifies that the name given to the DDS by the applicant is the same as the one on record with SSA. Delays can arise if something between the federal and state agencies does not match. To learn more about how to change name on drivers license documents and Social Security cards, review the sections below.
Instances Where You Must Change Your Name on Your Georgia Drivers License
There are several instances where it is appropriate to apply for a name change on drivers license materials, learner permits or identification cards. If you change your name after marriage, for instance, then you must apply for a name change through the DDS and update your name with the SSA. Additionally, you must change the name on your GA driving license if you choose to apply for a name change after divorce, legal separation or court order. Furthermore, you may choose to change your legal name and update the information on your drivers license if you undergo a gender change.
Georgia Drivers License Name Change Time Limits
Motorists must apply for a driving license name change in GA within 60 days of the legal name change. However, before changing name on drivers license documents, drivers must update their names with the SSA. Residents do not have to wait the full 60 days, as they can initiate the process as soon as their name has been legally changed.
Failure to complete a change of name with the DDS and SSA is punishable under state law and may result in citations from law enforcement officials and potential fines. Furthermore, failure to apply for a drivers license name change may result in delays in receiving future correspondence from the DDS such as notifications for license or vehicle registration renewal.
How to Change Your Name With the Social Security Administration
Before changing your name on driving license materials, learner permits or identification cards, you must report your name change to the SSA. To apply for a change of name through the SSA, you must visit a local Social Security office to complete the name change in person or you may submit all documentation by mail. To change your name in Georgia, you must submit the following information to your local Social Security branch:
- An application for a Social Security card
- Proof of the legal name change, which includes a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order or certificate of naturalization
- Proof of identity, such as a U.S. passport, drivers license or identification card
After changing your name with the SSA, you must wait at least 24 hours before reporting the name change to the DDS.
How to Change Your Name on Your Drivers License in Person
Motorists may change the name on their Georgia driving license after they apply for a name change with their local Social Security office. To apply for a drivers license name change, drivers must visit a DDS Customer Service Center within 60 days of changing their legal name. Drivers cannot apply for a DMV name change online or by mail since name change applicants generally need to provide a signature for the new drivers license and submit original or certified documentation.
To change the name on a GA driver license and receive a replacement drivers license with the new name, motorists must complete the following steps:
- Current state residents must visit a Customer Service Center to submit certified legal documentation representing the name change, along with their current drivers license or identification card. Certified documents include a marriage certificate, legal name change document, divorce decree or adoption papers. Documents must be in English.
- If applying for a change of name after divorce, then the divorce decree must contain a name-change order.
- If applying for a name change on drivers license documents as a new state resident, then applicants must visit a Customer Service Center to submit documentation supporting all prior name changes, including a legal name change document, birth certificate and a state drivers license or identification card.
- To apply for a name change on driver licenses and to update gender information, drivers must provide the DDS with proof of the name and/or gender change. Proof of gender change includes a court order or physician’s letter.
- Submit payment for the name change, unless the GA driving license name change takes place within 150 days of the driver license expiration date and motorists qualify for a free driver license renewal.
Note: Drivers qualify for one free name or address change during their driving license renewal period.
Georgia DMV Name Change Fees
Motorists receive one free drivers license name change in Georgia during the full term of their original drivers license, identification card or permit. However, to qualify for one free DMV name change, drivers must complete the request 150 days prior to the expiration date of the driver license. There is also no charge to obtain a new Social Security card.
If motorists do not apply for the change of name in time or if they need to apply for any subsequent name or address changes, then they must pay a renewal fee to update their driver license or identification card. The fee for renewing a driver license or identification card varies.