How to Change Your Name on Your Drivers License in Maryland
Drivers must apply for a drivers license name change in Maryland whenever they change their legal name after marriage, civil union, divorce or court order. When motorists apply for a change of name on driving license documents, they must complete the process through the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) under the state Department of Transportation (MDOT). Residents must submit certain documents and pay the fee for a replacement drivers license with the new name.
However, drivers cannot change name on driving license documents until they change the name on their Social Security cards. Motorists must notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) of the name change. To learn more about how to change name on drivers license documents, identification cards and Social Security cards, review the sections below.
Instances Where You Must Change Your Name on Your Maryland Drivers License
Drivers must apply for a DMV name change whenever they change their name after marriage, divorce, civil union, adoption, legal separation or court order. Motorists may also apply after undergoing a gender change and changing their legal name. The reason for the name change will influence which documents applicants will need to furnish. In addition to changing name on drivers license materials, applicants will change the name associated to the driving record. However, before drivers may begin the process, they must apply for a name change through the SSA.
Maryland Drivers License Name Change Time Limits
Under state law, a name change on drivers license and identification cards must be completed within 30 days of the legal change. Failure to apply within the 30-day time limit may result in citations or fines if law enforcement officials stop motorists for any reason. Additionally, drivers must notify the SSA of the modification as soon as possible after the legal change occurs.
Drivers cannot change the name on a Maryland driver license unless their identification details match Social Security records. However, motorists must wait at least 48 hours to change their name through the MVA after they report the name change to the SSA.
How to Change Your Name With the Social Security Administration
At least 48 hours before changing your name on driving license material, you must report your name change to the SSA. To change your name through the SSA and apply for a new Social Security card, you must complete the following steps:
- Complete an application for a Social Security card, which you may download the form online or obtain it in person at a Social Security office
- Complete the form in full and submit it by mail or in person
- Provide the Social Security office with proof of identity, such as a drivers license, U.S. passport or identification card
- Provide the SSA with proof of the name change, such as an original or certified marriage certificate, court order or divorce decree
Note: After you report your change of name and apply for a new Social Security card, the administration will return your documentation to you by mail, along with your new card. There is no charge to apply for a new Social Security card.
How to Change Your Name on Your Drivers License in Person
To change your name on driving license materials, you must visit a full-service MVA office to complete the application process in person. You cannot complete online drivers license name changes or change your legal name by mail. Furthermore, a parent or legal guardian must accompany you if you are younger than 18 years of age. However, if you hold a noncommercial license or identification card and you need to change your address, then you may do so online or by mail.
When changing the name on your driving license, you must provide the MVA office with the following:
- An original or certified copy of the name change document, such as a marriage certificate, court order of name change or divorce decree
- The current driver license or identification card with the old name
- Proof of age and identity, such as a birth certificate, U.S. passport, certificate of naturalization or a permanent resident card
- Proof of lawful status
- Proof of Social Security Number, such as an original or replacement Social Security card, W-2 form, 1099 form or pay stub
- Two proofs of state residency, such as a utility bill
- A current intrastate waiver/exemption (if applicable) and a current medical examiner’s certificate (for commercial drivers)
- Payment for obtaining a replacement driver license or ID cardGet Assistance With Changing Your Name on Your Drivers License
After you complete the drivers license name change, you must take a new driver license photograph. The MVA will return your current driver license and provide you with a receipt to use as proof of completing the name change until your new license arrives by mail within 10 days.
If you undergo a gender change and wish to change the gender designation on your driver license, then you must submit one of the following documents:
- A corrected birth certificate
- Federal- or state-issued identification card
- Court order document or an authorization letter from the Driver Wellness and Safety Division of the MVA
Maryland DMV Name Change Fees
When changing your name on driving license documents, you must pay a fee to correct and replace your regular or commercial driver license, permit or photo ID card. If you need to correct the name on your license due to a mistake on the part of the Motor Vehicle Administration of Maryland (MVA), you will be able to get a new license or ID free of charge. However, if you need to change the name on your license for any other reason, you will need to pay a fee of $20.