How to Perform an Out-of-State Title Transfer in Maryland
Maryland car owners often wonder how to perform an out of state car title transfer. In general, an out of state car title transfer in Maryland is a mandatory process for vehicle owners who have moved from another state to a new residential address in MD. Moreover, this procedure is required for motorists who have purchased an out-of-state motor vehicle that will be operated within Maryland state lines.
Overall, vehicle owners can transfer an out of state car title in person through the state’s Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) offices, or by mail through the MVA out-of-state title unit. To do so, these motorists must prepare a set of documents and satisfy a few general requirements. Thus, explore how to transfer a car title from state to state by reading the following sections.
What is a cross-state car title transfer in Maryland?
The procedure also known as a cross state car title transfer enables individuals to transfer their out-of-state car titles to Maryland. This is a significant process due to the fact that a certificate of title is the legal document that proves the ownership rights of a legal entity over a motor vehicle. Furthermore, in order to re-title a car on another state’s DMV database, individuals need to follow certain steps.
When is an out-of-state car title transfer necessary in Maryland?
New vehicle owners often wonder, “Is an out of state title transfer necessary for new cars?” when purchasing a motor vehicle from another state. These individuals must be mindful that there are certain differences between the procedures of transferring the title of a new car and the title of a used one.
Car owners may also ask, “Does a used vehicle need an out of state title transfer in Maryland?” As a general rule, a title transfer is needed when a car owner moves to MD from another state, as well as when a motorist purchases of an out-of-state motor vehicle that will be operated in Maryland streets.
Information and Documents Needed for an Out-of-State Title Transfer in Maryland
Along with an out of state title transfer form, vehicle owners need to gather a set of information and collect a list of documents needed for the procedure. Therefore, it is important to make sure to properly identify the out of state car title transfer information that the Maryland MVA requires for each particular circumstance. For example, car owners must submit the following information and documents needed for out of state title transfer:
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- A completed application form for a title transfer
- Car insurance information, as detailed in the application form
- A state-issued safety inspection certificate
- Proof of the motor vehicle’s value, such as a bill of sale, in the case that the MVA cannot identify the value
- The lease agreement, in the case of leased vehicles
- Lien information and/or lien release, if applicable
- Power of attorney, if needed
- Proof of military status, in the case of military members
Note that part of this out of state title transfer paperwork is mandatory, while some of the documents need to be submitted only when they are applicable to a motorist’s specific situation.
Steps for Completing an Out-of-State Title Transfer in Maryland as a New Resident
Motorists may perform a Maryland out of state title transfer in person at a local MD MVA branch. Conversely, car owners may also submit documents by mail to the MVA’s out-of-state title unit. Thus, completing an out of state title transfer as a new state resident requires you to undergo the following steps:
- Register a motor vehicle with the MVA within 60 days of the move
- Apply for an MD car title and registration
- Prepare and submit the required documents in person or by mail
- Submit payment for the applicable title and tag fees, as well as state taxes
Furthermore, according to a driver’s specific situation, there may be additional steps to complete an out of state title transfer as a new resident.
Out-of-State Title Transfers in Maryland After Buying or Selling a Vehicle
The process pertaining to an out of state title transfer after buying a car may require vehicle owners to perform the following steps:
- Obtain an out-of-state transport tag, if available upon purchase, or get a 30-day temporary registration used for the transporting of the motor vehicle
- Pass a vehicle safety inspection, in the case of used vehicles
- Present the appropriate out of state title transfer paperwork
Cross-State Car Title Transfer Fees in Maryland
The price of a cross state car title transfer is established after taking into account several types of fees that must be paid upon the moving of a vehicle to MD. For example, the cross state car title transfer fees include a $100 title fee, a tag fee, a lien fee and state taxes.