If you have purchased a vehicle with an out-of-state title or are moving to a different state with your vehicle, you need to transfer the certificate of title in person or by mail. General requirements for this procedure include filling out your new state’s title application form, submitting proof of your vehicle ownership (such as a completed bill of sale) and paying the applicable fees, such as titling fees, registration costs and state taxes. In addition, many state DMVs require out-of-state cars to undergo vehicle identification number (VIN) inspections. Our digital how-to guide contains everything you need to know to transfer your title quickly and easily. You will get step-by-step instructions on the process, as well as information about how to complete other titling procedures, such as replacing your title.

2. By Mail

Some DMVs allow eligible residents to transfer an out-of-state title by mail. However, be mindful that this procedure is not typically offered to all vehicle owners in each state. Mail-in applications are typically reserved for drivers who are out-of-state or members of the military. If this method is available to you, you will be required to mail in a completed application form along with documents that prove you own your vehicle and that it has passed a VIN inspection. Moreover, you will need to include an acceptable payment method for the transfer fees, such as a check or money order. Note that mail-in requests can be delayed if an application features incorrect or incomplete information. Also, processing times may increase based on the amount of applications the DMV receives.

3. In Person

Depending on your state, you may only be able to complete an out-of-state title transfer by visiting a DMV office in person. In general, this is required so that your car can undergo a vehicle identification number inspection. During your visit to the DMV, you must complete the proper application form and submit documents proving your vehicle ownership. Additionally, you will be asked to pay for the applicable fees to transfer your out-of-state title. Because you will be dealing with credentials issued by different state DMVs, it is important to be prepared for the transaction in order to prevent long wait times or potential mistakes. If you do not bring in the correct paperwork, you may have to visit the DMV office at a later date to reapply.

Applying for an out of state car title transfer in North Carolina is mandatory on each occasion a nonresident motor vehicle is brought into the state. If you are wondering how to perform an out of state car title transfer, note that you will be required to submit several types of documents and fee payments to the state Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Also, when finalizing an out of state car title transfer in North Carolina, you will be required to apply for a new car registration simultaneously. Find out more about the NC out of state car title transfer process by reading the sections outlined below.

What is a cross-state car title transfer in North Carolina?

A cross state car title transfer is a special titling transaction that must be completed for all nonresident vehicles brought within the state. After completing the process to re-title a car in another state DMV’s records, your invalid out-of-state title will be replaced with a certificate of title issued by the North Carolina DMV. Without a proper title transfer, residents will not be able to legally drive their vehicle in the state.

When is an out-of-state car title transfer necessary in North Carolina?

Vehicle owners wondering when an out of state title transfer is necessary should note that they are required to perform a title transfer when they bring a nonresident vehicle within the state. Therefore, in addition to completing a cross state vehicle title transfer in the event that you relocate within the state, you will also be required to apply for a new title if you purchase an out-of-state vehicle as an existing resident. Also, keep in mind that a title transfer will only take place if your out-of-state vehicle was already titled. Therefore, if you bring a motor vehicle that only has a manufacturer’s certificate of origin, you will need to apply for a new car title rather than an out of state title transfer.

In addition, you will also need to transfer an out of state car title received as part of an inheritance. However, in such cases, you may be required to complete additional steps, such as providing proof that you are the new legal owner of the vehicle in question.

Information and Documents Needed for an Out-of-State Title Transfer in North Carolina

During the process of transferring an out of state car title in North Carolina, applicants will be required to meet several requirements, such as submitting the proper paperwork and paying the applicable fees. However, the documents needed for an out of state title transfer in NC may vary slightly depending on whether or not a transfer of ownership takes place. The information and paperwork required to title and register your vehicle after moving within the state is outlined below:

  • A completed title application containing the owner’s notarized signature
  • An odometer reading statement, if required
  • Proof of a valid vehicle insurance policy
  • A power of attorney form, if required
  • An official identification document, such as a driving license or an ID card, if required

Note: If the out-of-state title is held by a lienholder, the applicant will be required to submit his or her current registration card.

If you are transferring an out of state car title for a newly-purchased vehicle, on the other hand, you will be required to provide additional documents. For example, to transfer an out of state car title in North Carolina after purchasing a nonresident vehicle, you will need a combination of a properly reassigned title, a damage disclosure statement, a bill of sale and a lien release form.

Steps for Completing an Out-of-State Title Transfer in North Carolina as a New Resident

Completing an out of state title transfer as a new state resident in North Carolina is a mandatory step that can be finalized by submitting the necessary paperwork and fee payments in person through a DMV registration office. The NC DMV does not implement an option to complete an out of state title transfer online, since the necessary documentation must immediately be verified upon submission. Once all your documents are submitted and you application is approved, the DMV will grant you a new car registration and title. You will receive a new registration immediately after your application is approved, but it may take a few weeks for your title to arrive through the mail. Because of this delay, you have the option of applying for an instant title, which will expedite the manufacturing and mailing of your title. However, this option will be more expensive.

Out-of-State Title Transfers in North Carolina After Buying or Selling a Vehicle

The process of transferring an out of state title after getting a new car from an out-of-state seller abides by the same rules and regulations as titling and registering a vehicle as a new state resident. Therefore, the transferring an out of state title after buying a new car can be completed by submitting the items necessary for obtaining a new car title.

Cross-State Car Title Transfer Fees in North Carolina

When applying for an out of state title transfer, you will be required to pay certain fees set in place by the DMV and the county in which you reside. For example, the total cost of transferring an out of state car title will include costs such as new license plates, since the North Carolina DMV titles and registers vehicles at the same time.

Apart from the base titling fee, you will also be required to pay the applicable vehicle taxes and varying registration fees. It is also important to note that failure to complete an out of state vehicle title transfer within a month of bringing a nonresident vehicle into North Carolina will lead to an additional late titling fee.

The North Carolina titling fees are as follows:

  • $52 – Certificate of Title
  • $20 – Plate transfer
  • Three percent – Highway use tax
Last updated on Friday, December 21 2018.

Have a Question? Get Quick Online Answers!