HOW TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
A North Carolina Motorcycle License can be renewed in person at any DMV driver's license office in the State. The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles notifies owners of the expiration date of their motorcycle license by mail, approximately two months in advance.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
Your license is issued for a period of 5 or 8 years depending on your age.
- Ages 18 to 65: 8 years
- Age 66 or older: 5 years
The cost of a license & endorsements is based on the yearly charge.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring motorcycle license or two identity documents if the expiring license is not available.
- Your Social Security Number.
- The renewal [ fee].
- You need to take a vision test and a test to check your familiarity with the [ traffic rule and signs].
- A road test may be required if the Examiner feels it is warranted.
Note: Renewal by mail is permitted in some cases if you are a North Carolina resident temporarily out of state for over a period of 30 days, or if your spouse or you are on active military duty.
For more information contact a DMV office or write to:
Division of Motor Vehicles
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-3148
HOW TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
WHEN TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
You must replace your motorcycle license if your original license has been lost, stolen or destroyed.
TO REPLACE IN PERSON
- Bring proper identification. The state of North Carolina requires that you present two identification documents from an approved list when applying for a duplicate motorcycle license.
- Bring the correct fee. Please contact your local DMV Office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
- If you are close to the expiration date on the motorcycle license, you can renew your license instead of applying for a replacement.
TO REPLACE VIA THE INTERNET
If your motorcycle license was issued after October 1996, you can apply for a duplicate online at the DMV website.
You will need:
- Your motorcycle license number.
- Name and date of birth.
- Social Security number.
- You also need to have a valid email address.
- A Visa or MasterCard credit card for payment.