How to Renew a Motorcycle License in Oklahoma
Drivers are required to submit an application for motorcycle license renewal in Oklahoma at the same time that they renew their regular driver’s license. To renew a motorcycle license, drivers must renew their current Class A, B, C or D license that carries the OK motorcycle endorsement. Unless the driver holds a separate license specifically for three-wheeled motorcycles, M endorsements can only be renewed through the renewal of the entire license. In Oklahoma, driver’s licenses generally last four years before they need to be renewed.
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) processes all bike license renewal requests through the Driver’s License Services Division. The DPS also accepts requests for the renewal of permits for motorcycle drivers. All renewal applications must be submitted in person to a DPS licensing office, unless the driver is temporarily out of state. The DPS allows drivers in this situation to submit a renewal request by mail, if certain conditions are met. Keep reading to learn more about renewing licenses to operate motorcycles in Oklahoma.
When to Renew a Motorcycle License in Oklahoma
Renewing a motorcycle license in Oklahoma is required at least once every four years for license holders. The motorcycle license expiration date for most OK driver’s licenses is four years from the last day of the month that the license was originally issued. The expiration date of licenses issued to drivers who are not American citizens will expire after four years or when the driver’s permission to stay in the U.S. expires, whichever is sooner.
Drivers can choose to renew a bike license at any point from one year before its expiration date up to 30 days after its expiration date without facing any penalties. The DPS requires drivers renewing after this period to meet additional application criteria.
Eligibility for Motorcycle License Renewal in Oklahoma
Motorcycle renewal requirements in Oklahoma are the same as the regular driver’s license renewal requirements because both are done at the same time through the renewal of the same document. The DPS does not usually require additional documentation to renew an M1 license or other types of regular licenses with endorsements unless specific conditions apply.
Unless a driver is applying for special privileges, they do not normally need to meet additional criteria to renew their license with an M endorsement. All drivers renewing any type of driver’s license in Oklahoma must be at least 16 years of age and be able to provide proof of identity and state residency.
Oklahoma drivers seeking to renew a motorcycle endorsement that has been expired for more than one year will be required to provide two forms of identity in addition to proof of legal presence in the U.S., unless already provided to the DPS on or after November 1, 2007. How to renew a motorcycle license does not vary based on the driver’s age, but instead his or her license type.
The DPS recommends that drivers whose license has been expired between one and three years and who are American citizens submit an original or certified birth certificate to the DPS as the necessary proof. Drivers without a valid birth certificate must present a primary identification document to the DPS in person.
The documents required to renew a motorcycle license in Oklahoma through the DPS include:
- One primary form of identification, such as:
- Original or certified birth certificate.
- A valid and current U.S. passport (may be used as both primary and secondary forms of I.D.)
- D. card issued by the Oklahoma DPS since 2007
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation
- One secondary form of identification (if applicable), such as:
- Any acceptable primary proof of identification
- Photo I.D. or driver’s license issued by another U.S. state
- A signed affidavit by a parent (for minors)
- Any photo I.D. issued by an Oklahoma:
- Public or private secondary school
- An institution of higher learning
- Vocational school
- One proof of Oklahoma residency, such as:
- A utility bill for electricity, gas, a landline telephone, cable, trash collection, TV water, sewer maintenance, etc.
- A payroll check or check stub
- A concealed weapons permit
- A lease agreement that is currently active
- A letter issued to the driver by a state or federal agency
- A document issued by the Social Security Administration
- Receipt for paying sales or property tax
- A homeowner’s, renter’s or auto insurance policy
- Evidence of lawful presence in the U.S. (if applicable)
- A Renewal or Replacement of Driver License or ID Card while Out-of-Country or Out-of-State form, completed and signed (if applicable)
- Change of name or address documentation (if applicable)
Instances When You Cannot Renew Your Motorcycle License in Oklahoma
Drivers who would like to renew a motorcycle endorsement on a license that is expired over one year will be required to provide additional proof of identification and evidence of lawful presence in the U.S. Drivers whose motorcycle license expired over three years ago cannot follow the typical renewal process and must instead complete all of the state’s testing requirements in order to reactivate their license.
How to Renew an Oklahoma Motorcycle License in Person
Drivers wondering where to renew a motorcycle license in Oklahoma can visit the DPS website to find a list of offices that accept renewal applications around the state. At most locations, motorcycle endorsement renewal appointments can be scheduled online before the applicant heads into the office. All drivers who are eligible for license renewal are eligible for in-person submission. OK drivers can take the following steps to renew a bike license:
- Gather the necessary identification document(s), proof of Oklahoma residency and any other necessary documentation depending on your situation. If your license expired within the last year, include proof of lawful presence in the U.S.
- Prepare the necessary application fees. If unsure of acceptable payment methods, inquire beforehand at your local DPS location before heading in.
- Bring your documentation and payment to your nearest OK DPS licensing office.
- Submit your complete application packet. Your permanent renewed license will be mailed to you.
How to Renew an Oklahoma Motorcycle License by Mail
To renew an M endorsement by mail in Oklahoma, license holders should be temporarily out-of-state. Other motorcycle renewal requirements for submission by mail include being an American citizen and completing the previous renewal or issuance at the DPS in person, unless the applicant is a member of the national armed forces. Drivers must have their current residential address on file with the DPS to submit a request by mail. If an address change is necessary, it can be submitted online before making the renewal request.
OK drivers who would like to renew an M1 license by mail can take the following steps:
- Print out the Renewal or Replacement of Driver License or ID Card while Out-of-Country or Out-of-State form. Sign and complete it with both your OK residential address and your current out-of-state address where the new license will be mailed.
- Photocopy two acceptable proofs of identity to include with the application.
- Prepare a self-addressed envelope to include with the application packet. The DPS will use this to mail you your new permanent license when ready.
- Prepare the necessary application fees by check or money order.
- Package all of your application material and mail it to the following address:
Department of Public Safety Driver License Services Renewal By Mail PO Box 11415 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73136
- Wait to receive your new permanent license by mail.
Oklahoma Motorcycle License Renewal Costs
How much does it cost to renew a motorcycle license in Oklahoma? The motorcycle license renewal cost for OK drivers is usually $38.50 for regular licenses with an M endorsement. Drivers who are 62 years of age or over are entitled to discounted license fees.
Oklahoma Motorcycle License Renewal Forms
Note: DMV forms change regularly. The forms provided above are current based on the date of writing.
- Oklahoma Driver’s Manual from OK.gov
- Renew a Driver License/ID Card from OK.gov
- Renewal or Replacement of Driver License or ID Card while Out-of-Country or Out-of-State from OK.gov