How to Renew a Motorcycle License in Rhode Island
All drivers must apply for a motorcycle license renewal in Rhode Island at least once every five years, according to the RI Division of Motor Vehicles’ (RIDMV). Drivers learning how to operate motorcycles can also renew a motorcycle permit through a similar process at the RIDMV. All drivers must meet the state’s eligibility requirements in order to be able to submit a license renewal application. Eligible drivers can submit a renewal request online or in person at any RIDMV or AAA licensing agency.
Drivers whose motorcycle license expiration date has already passed by a significant period of time are no longer eligible for renewal and are instead required to apply for a new license. The RIDMV will mail a bike license renewal reminder to all registered motorcycle drivers months before their document’s expiration date to help the driver understand how he or she can complete the renewal process. The reminder notice, necessary application material and processing fees must be submitted together to submit a successful renewal application. License holders can read more to learn how to renew their motorcycle privileges in Rhode Island.
When to Renew a Motorcycle License in Rhode Island
Renewing a motorcycle license in Rhode Island is necessary at least once every five years for all drivers with an M endorsement on their license. Drivers who are 17 or 18 years of age must renew a bike license after holding their first license for the passing of two of their birthdays, referred to as the “two-birthday” period by the RIDMV.
This means that RI drivers 18 years of age or younger are issued initial licenses with an initial validity of up to two years. The RIDMV issues drivers who are 73 years of age or older licenses that are valid for a maximum of two years as well.
How to renew motorcycle license in Rhode Island depends on whether the license has already expired or not. Licenses which has been expired for more than 180 days cannot be renewed online, along with commercial licenses.
Eligibility for Motorcycle License Renewal in Rhode Island
In order to renew a motorcycle license in Rhode Island, drivers must already hold a valid driver’s license with an M endorsement. Other motorcycle renewal requirements include being at least 17 years of age and having residency in the state of Rhode Island. To apply online, drivers must have access to a credit or debit card to complete the application payment and a printer to print the receipt and temporary license after application submission.
RI drivers who choose to renew a motorcycle endorsement on a driver’s license that is not also a REAL ID are only required to provide a completed application form and one proof of identity. The RIDMV requires all other applicants to renew an M1 license in Rhode Island by presenting the following documents:
- The Application for License, Identification Card and Permit (LI-1), completed and signed
- One proof of identity from the following documents:
- A valid U.S. REAL ID driver’s license
- An original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a U.S. state agency
- A valid and current U.S. passport
- A current foreign-issued passport with an unexpired U.S. visa affixed inside and an I-94 form
- A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State
- A valid and current Permanent Resident Card issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS)
- A valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) issued by DHS
- A certificate of Citizenship issued by DHS
- A certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS
- One proof of Social Security Number (SSN) from the following documents:
- An original SSN card
- A letter issued by the Social Security Administration explaining that the driver is not eligible for an SSN
- A W-2 or 1099 form showing the driver’s full SSN (from the last five years)
- A payroll check stub showing the driver’s full SSN (from the last five years)
- Two proofs of residency with the driver’s name and address clearly included (from the last 60 days), such as any of the following documents:
- A utility bill for a landline telephone, electricity, gas, water, cable TV, oil, trash collection, sewer maintenance, etc.
- A payroll check or check stub
- A personal check or bank statement issued by the bank
- A lease agreement that is currently active
- A letter issued to the driver by a state or federal agency
- A homeowner’s, renter’s or auto insurance policy
- A letter from the Rhode Island shelter where a driver is residing, from the last 30 days indicating that the applicant resides at the facility. Such a letter must be on official letterhead and dated within the past 30 days
Instances When You Cannot Renew Your Motorcycle License in Rhode Island
Drivers are not eligible to pay the motorcycle license renewal cost and submit a renewal request online if their license has been suspended or revoked. Drivers seeking a motorcycle endorsement renewal through a commercial license must apply in person at the RIDMV or a AAA agency. Any RI driver who needs to update his or her address, name or registered gender with the RIDMV are also ineligible for online renewal and must apply in person.
How to Renew a Rhode Island Motorcycle License Online
Can I renew my motorcycle license online in Rhode Island? Yes, renewing an M endorsement in Rhode Island can be done online by most motorcycle drivers. Drivers who would like to apply for a bike license renewal online can confirm their eligibility by trying to log into the RIDMV web portal.
RI drivers who are not American citizens or holding a commercial license are not eligible for online renewal, however. Drivers whose license has been expired for more than 180 days or suspended are also ineligible for the online application.
Through online M1 license renewal, the RIDMV does not permit drivers to change their name, address or other information. Drivers can take the following steps to renew a bike endorsement and license in Rhode Island:
- Head to the RIDMV services web portal. Provide your name, license number and birthday to log in and access the application.
- Follow the online instructions to complete the application.
- Prepare to pay the application fee by major credit or debit card or eCheck.
- Submit the online request and pay the fee. Print your application submission receipt to use as a temporary license.
- Wait to receive your permanent renewed license in the mail within 60 business days.
How to Renew a Rhode Island Motorcycle License in Person
All Rhode Island drivers can choose to renew their bike license by completing a paper application and submitting it in person to the DMV or a AAA licensing agency, if eligible for a renewal. The best place where to renew a motorcycle license depends on where the applicant lives in the state. The RIDMV publishes a list of available licensing offices statewide.
RI drivers can take the following steps to renew their M1 license in person:
- Print out the Application for License, Identification Card and Permit (LI-1) form. Complete and sign it.
- Gather the necessary supporting material, including an identification document, proof of RI residency and your SSN.
- Prepare the necessary application fee. Make sure to bring the payment in the correct format.
- Bring your documentation and payment to your nearest RIDMV or AAA licensing office.
- Take a license photo, if necessary.
- Submit your complete application packet. Your permanent renewed license will be mailed to you within 60 business days.
How to Renew a Motorcycle Permit in Rhode Island
The RIDMV allows permit holders in Rhode Island to apply for a motorcycle permit renewal once, extending the validity period of the permit by one year. Once the motorcycle permit has expired, the driver can head to a nearby DMV with the same basic documentation required by full license holders to submit a renewal application.
Drivers can submit this renewal request up to two years after the original permit has expired. The RIDMV issues learner’s permits for an initial validity period of 18 months.
Rhode Island Motorcycle License Renewal Costs
How much does it cost to renew a motorcycle license in Rhode Island? The RI motorcycle license renewal fee depends on the age of the driver making the request. Relevant fees for renewal requests include:
- Regular Operator’s License Renewal (5-year validity): $61.50
- Regular Operator’s License Renewal (for drivers 71 years of age and older): Prorated
- Motorcycle Learner’s Permit (18-month validity): $26.50
- Online renewal request processing fee (for payment by card): $2.75
- Online renewal request processing fee (for payment by eCheck): Free