is a privately owned website.* Privacy

Filing the Rhode Island SR-22 Insurance Form

Filing the Rhode Island SR-22 Insurance Form

The state of Rhode Island uses the SR-22 form to help protect its citizens against problem drivers by monitoring their insurance. It requires the auto insurance company to file the SR-22 form as a proof of a problem driver's financial responsibility, stating that his/her auto insurance liability is in effect. The state does not send notifications and it is the responsibility of the driver and the auto insurance company to submit the form as well as the renewals, to the state, if required.


There are three different types of SR-22 forms:

  1. The Operator's Certificate covers the financial responsibility in the case the motorist does not own a vehicle.
  2. The Owner's Certificate covers the financial responsibility for vehicles owned by the motorist.
  3. The Operators-Owners Certificate covers financial responsibility for all the vehicles that are owned or non-owned by the motorist.


The SR-22 financial responsibility Insurance form is required in the following cases:

  1. If you have any safety responsibility suspensions (Type Action 04, which involves uninsured motorists who did not pay for damages or injuries they caused). For example, if an uninsured driver was involved in an accident in the past but did not pay the requisite compensation then he or she needs to fill the SR-22.
  2. If you have any unsatisfied judgment suspensions (Type Action 06, a suspension resulting from a civil judgment entered against a driver involved in an accident that remains unsatisfied). For example, if a driver involved in an accident in the past has an unsatisfactory judgment entered against him then he or she needs to fill the SR-22.
  3. In case of revocations of license (Type Action 01 and 02).
  4. In the case of mandatory insurance supervisions.
  5. For individuals who have received more than three convictions for mandatory insurance violations.


  1. Contact a state-authorized insurance agency to request for a SR-22 filing.
  2. Pay the correct processing fee to the agency. The fee amount may vary between agencies. You can request an insurance quote from our Rhode Island auto insurance page and companies such as Esurance will allow you to request an SR-22 filing automatically.
  3. As per the State laws of Rhode Island, the minimum amount of coverage should be $25,000 for one person killed or injured, $50,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $25,000 for property damage.
  4. Upon receiving the request from the agent the central office then sends the SR-22 directly to the Division of Motor Vehicles in about 30 days.
  5. If accepted, you will receive the SR-22 from the agency along with a letter from the DMV.
  6. The SR-22 has to be maintained for a minimum period determined by the court. The minimum period for which you are required to file is usually 36 months. If the motorist does not renew it at least 15 days before the expiration date the agency notifies the State. The State may then suspend the driving record of the motorist until the insurance is reinstated. So it is advisable to renew the SR-22 at least 45 days in advance.


  1. If you are required to file an SR-22 in the state of Rhode Island, you will have to do so through an insurance provider that is licensed to do business in the state.


  • An amount of up to $50,000 in cash or securities may be deposited with the State Treasurer in place of the SR-22. The motorist can also file a surety bond or a real estate bond approved by a court of record.
  • For related information, see Auto Insurance, DUI/ DWI Lawyers, DUI/DWI Information and Suspended License.
Submitted by ldyplay53 on 12th Mar 2009

I cannot tell if the original

I cannot tell if the original went through.

My license is under suspension as the Registry states they do not have a SR22 showing that I had Financial Responsibility.

The original SR22 was filed 8/9/06 was written on policy 52960694-2 with Progressive. This policy was effective from 7/29/06 through 11/25/06. My license was under suspension from 8/06 through 4/07.

On 4/16/07 I purchased a new policy from Triple A 15666569-0 written through Progressive. Since that time I have had an ongoing policy with Triple A Progressive.

My license was reinstated 4/07.

The registry showed that they received the notice of no insurance 9/17/07 and at that time my license went under suspension. I never knew of this suspension until 12 days ago when a police officer stopped me for an expired registration. (I had thought my registration expired in 09, not 08). At that time he told me my license had been under suspension.

Can you help me on this? Obviously the agent is of no help. I've been to operator control and the registry and hear the same line, "I'm so sorry I cannot help you"

can you help me ? direct me on what to do? Thank you


Aim sorry Marion but I never send SR-22 to the Registry we give them to

the insured at the time we write the policy and then when the insured

renews Progressive send Conf to the Registry. If you're looking for the

Original one then we need customer service to check your file and see if

we have a copy.

Just contact them @ 1-800-222-4242. I hope this helps


Submitted by ldyplay53 on 12th Mar 2009

can you help me???? What do

can you help me???? What do I do? thank you

Submitted by spite on 21st Oct 2011

Best option= move out of RI.

Best option= move out of RI. Their dmv is rediculous. What you gotta do is go to the operator control (make sure you have 3-4 days planned for this) in cranston. Show up before they open at 7 if i remember correctly, and hope to be seen before 4 when they close. The first day when you acrually see someone they will tell you what you most likely need to do. Second day is to get it done since by the time you are seen every office of use will be closed. Third day is to go back and wait all day again and hope to be seen before 4, and tell them it is done, most likely pay 500$ since the dmv screwed up(in cash since its easier to lose your payment) and hopefully get it reinstated.

From experience.

Submitted by ufmonkee on 26th Feb 2013

My husbands license is

My husbands license is suspended from a error over a parking ticket and we live in florida, any idea how to deal with them out of state. We can't get through via phone