is a privately owned website.* Privacy

Filing the California SR-22 Insurance Form

Filing the California SR-22 Insurance Form


An SR-22 form is a document that helps the DMV and the state of California ensure that motorists are financially responsible for their driving. Certain drivers are deemed to be at risk because of past violations (as listed below) and are therefore required to file an SR-22 form with their auto insurance company. The auto insurance company will keep record of the SR-22 as well as providing the motorist and the state DMV with a copy.

In the state of California there are three different types of SR 22 forms:

  1. An Operator's Policy Certificate which covers the financial responsibility in the case the motorist does not own a vehicle.
  2. An Owner's Policy Certificate that covers the financial responsibility for vehicles owned by the motorist.
  3. A Broad Coverage Policy Certificate covers financial responsibility for all the vehicles that are owned or not owned by the motorist.


The SR-22 financial responsibility insurance form is required for specific drivers in California. The form(s) may be required for the following reasons:

  1. If you have any safety responsibility suspensions. For example, if you were an uninsured driver and were involved in an accident in the past but did not pay the requisite compensation.
  2. If you have any unsatisfied judgment suspensions. For example, if you, as a driver were involved in an accident in the past and then you had an unsatisfactory judgment entered against you.
  3. If you have a restricted license.
  4. If you have had your license revocated.
  5. For individuals convicted of DUI.


  1. Contact a DMV-authorized auto insurance agency or broker to request for a SR-22 filing.
  2. Pay the correct processing fee to the agency. The fee amount may vary between agencies. You can request an insurance quote from our California auto insurance page and where we offer quotes from companies who will allow you to request an SR 22 filing automatically. This can all be done online and will often allow you to save on auto insurance rates.
  3. As per the State laws of California, the minimum amount of coverage for one accident should be $15,000 for one person killed or injured, $30,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $5,000 for property damage.
  4. Upon receiving the request from the agent the central office then sends the SR-22 directly to the DMV in about 30 days.
  5. If accepted, you will receive the SR-22 from the agency along with a letter from the DMV.
  6. The SR-22 has to be maintained for a minimum period of 36 months. If this is not done, the DMV may suspend the driving record of the motorist until the insurance is reinstated.


In case you move to another state, the requirements of your new state of residence will be applicable to you. Contact your insurance company for more information.


  • An amount of $35,000 in cash or as a surety bond may be deposited with the DMV in place of liability insurance.
  • DMV-approved self-insurance is also considered adequate proof of financial responsibility.
Submitted by DavidRD on 5th Apr 2016

Help ! My insurance canceled

Help ! My insurance canceled due to non payment and now back on track. How do i show my sr22 to the dmv asap! Can i just show up with my insurance card at the dmv?

Submitted by bdsncms on 19th Nov 2015

I have a question my daughter

I have a question my daughter is over 21 but has never had a drivers license, she was in an accident as the driver where she hit a parked car. (due to medical emergency) she was taken via ambulance to the hospital. The car she was driving was insured, but because she was unlicensed it was not covered by the insurance company. She just received in the mail a letter from DMV requesting her fill out the for to report an accident and show proof of insurance. What is the next step? Since the accident she has been diagnosed with epilepsy and can not obtain a license. does she need to get an sr-22? Will her license be suspended, and for how long?

Submitted by RebeckaKate on 6th May 2015

HELP! Moving!! I currently

HELP! Moving!!

I currently am required to file an SR-22 in California. My current insurance is a non-owner policy as I do not own a vehicle but wanted to keep my license valid. I am moving to Massachusetts and they are NOT an SR-22 state (I confirmed with their RMV). How do I stay compliant with California while in MA? I am unable to find an insurance company there that does non-owner policies and will file an SR-22 since it's not a state requirement. My policy expires in a month, and I don't want to be caught without the SR-22 and have my license suspended. MA will allow me to get a license there, but what would become of my California license and my SR-22 requirement?

Submitted by helpfulguy on 28th Aug 2015

If you can get a MA license,

If you can get a MA license, good for you! The old (California) license always disappears when you move to a new state and get a new license. Your MA license will work in CA while you are a resident of MA.

Submitted by mr t on 10th May 2013

Help ! My insurance canceled

Help ! My insurance canceled due to non payment and now back on track. How do i show my sr22 to the dmv asap! Can i just show up with my insurance card at the dmv?

Submitted by klitch on 13th Apr 2013

I need help! I was in an

I need help! I was in an accident in Sept 2010 and just recently found out my license has been suspended since then. I went to the DMV and the

oh so lovely lady that helped me wasnt much help. She just kept saying I need a because I didnt have insurance SR22 which doesnt make sense to me. I had insurance they paid for the accident i sent over the proper forms to them and so did my insurance company. my insurance company refuses to do an SR22 because they say its not right but the DMV wont reinstate my license. How do I fix this!?

Submitted by mwbailey1974 on 19th Apr 2012

I have an interesting

I have an interesting situation and was hoping to get some advice. I was stationed with the Army in Alaska in 1993, during that time I maintained my home state license in Missouri. I never had an Alaska license. During my time there I had a civil suit against me due to circumstances in an auto accident which resulted in a judgment that I was unaware of as the Army had already relocated me to Savannah, GA. I returned to Missouri in 1998 and continued to renew and maintain my Missouri license until 2008 when I moved to Iowa and tried to get a license I was told that they could not issue me one because I had an unsatisfied judgment in Alaska. I looked into it, satisfied the judgment and obtained my Iowa license. The problem is that Alaska has a really odd law that I am now required to file SR22 for LIFE due to the judgment, even though it is now satisfied. I never had a DUI or anything else. I have always maintained insurance. I accepted this stupid rule and have been having it filed since 2008 with whatever insurance company I am with. NOW, however, I just changed insurance companies and after changing I have learned that all major insurance companies have changed their policy and no longer file out of state SR22 filings, they grandfathered in anyone who was already their customer. The only insurance company left that will do it is Progressive but that will be a financial burden to my family since they do not offer homeowners. Is there anything I can do to change this? I never had a license in Alaska, I never plan to return there, drive there or live there yet as I continue to live in Iowa I still have to file SR22 for life there. Even people with multiple DUIs get less time on SR22 in Alaska, I don't get it? If my judgment is paid, what is the point and is there anything I can do?

Submitted by Airman89 on 3rd Apr 2012

Hi everyone. I have a

Hi everyone. I have a question for you all. I was stationed in Monterey Bay, CA for a while and I received a DUI in my time there. Now I am trying to fill out my packet and they say I need to file an SR-22? I thought that was only for California residents? I am out of the Military now and I am living back in my home state, Ohio. I have had an Ohio license this whole time and had insurance etc.. So my question is do I need to file an SR-22?

The only reason I am questioning the California DMV in Sacremento is because they had told me my license is suspended and I cant drive anywhere but I have not only contacted the BMV in Ohio but DMVs in other states and my license is Valid. Also I have contacted the State Highway Patrol in Ohio and they all say I am ok to drive. So they were wrong about that, now I'm wondering if they are wrong about the SR-22 filing also. Thanks.


Submitted by Cindy Ellis on 5th Mar 2012

I had my license revoked for

I had my license revoked for failing to fill out an SR1 when I had an accident in Dec 2010. I was insured. The accident was reported and both the person I hit and my claim were paid by the insurance company Safeco. However, I didn't know about sending in this SR1 form. I moved and didn't receive any notices from DMZ so the first time I found out my license was revoked was when I went in to get a replacement license. I am trying to find out how to get my license back. Can I just fill out the SR! and bring proof of insurance to the DMV ? Please help!

Submitted by MisterInsurance on 28th Mar 2012



Submitted by kyr on 19th Feb 2012

Does the SR22 requirement

Does the SR22 requirement start from the date of your conviction or after the 6 months with no license?

Submitted by rhatten on 28th Mar 2013

The exact wording on court

The exact wording on court documents is always unclear but most DMVs will require you to carry the sr22 for up to 4 years after your license is reinstated. Some people in the past have managed to fool the system with their own wording because 3 to 4 years had already passed since their conviction, and so then they just got their license reinstated. But the DMVs are smarter now and making sure people who are getting their license back carry the sr22 for 3 to 4 years, depending on the state, after their license is reinstated.

Submitted by sr22 on 19th Jan 2012

I was arrested for a DUI in

I was arrested for a DUI in Nov. 2011. I have retained a lawyer (Mr. DUI) in SanDiego, who feels he can get it reduced to a lesser violation (not a DUI). I have a clean driving record and have not been arrested for anything, ever! My question. I have insurance coverage for 3 cars that I own with 2 insurance companys. One renewed for a year in Dec. 2011 and the other for a year this month (Jan. 2012). Why should I have to contact an insurance company and pay extreme insurance costs for a SR22 when I have a year of existing coverage until 2013. If I have current coverage for a year, why should the DMV request a SR22 if I can show proof of current coverage for the first 12 of 36 months. Can anyone explain this to me. Thanks

Submitted by bestconnection on 16th Feb 2012

You can get a non owners

You can get a non owners policy and not notify your current insurance. To be honest if you add the sr22 to your policy, it might not be as much as you think. check out they can help

Submitted by Free Advice on 24th Jan 2012

First off stop whining - you

First off stop whining - you were drinking and driving. To answer your question - your insurance cannot raise the rates until expiration, but insurance premiums have nothing to do with complying with the DMV requirements to keep your license in lieu of your DUI ticket. Having a license is a privilege - not a right. Therefore provide the SR22 or the DMV suspends your license - if getting the SR22 requires a new insurance policy or paying a high fee for the SR22 that is the penalty for drinking and driving.

Submitted by BlakeH on 19th Apr 2012

You're a self righteous ass.

You're a self righteous ass. Individuals asking for help for a DUI and SR22 info have already had their lives embarrassed and changed and dealt with introspection. Your diatribe is insulting and demeaning. Next time you feel like getting on a soap box to preach, go do it in the mirror and get some perspective.

Submitted by Glassman76 on 6th Mar 2012

first off for the one who

first off for the one who said first off you said the sr22 is THE penalty for Drinking and driving so thats THE penalty not 1500 in court fee not the 500 to get your car back from the tow truck because their not open on weekends not the consent ridicule from the holyier than thou tards now this is the penalty what if just feeling a little less judgmental (than you apparently) i got my DUI because if i stayed at the party worst things would have happened how many of us DUI's can say the same

Submitted by ActSmart on 2nd Dec 2014

You definitely need to learn

You definitely need to learn how to spell, and speak the English language before you post something publicly. Worse, not worst. They're, not their. Simple grammar any fourth grader would know. Clean up your act and use punctuation. You're a grown up now.

Submitted by gerardt on 27th Dec 2011

I was rear ended at a

I was rear ended at a stoplight on 7-16-11. I was driving my fathers car, he's 85 and forgot to pay the insurance, so his van was not insured when I was hit. Since I carry insurance with AAA of So. Cal I knew they would cover me like they do when I rent a car. And after being told AAA would cover me, then wouldn't, then would, then wouldn't etc. for about 5 months they finally denied me coverage for this accident because I carry a set of keys for the van. As a result, my license is being suspended on 12/29/11 for one year. I personally did nothing wrong except trust that my father had current insurance on the van. I am going to loose my business, probably my marriage, and home because I will have no income. I can't even appeal DMV's decision because in their eyes, because of AAA's decision not to cover me with my paid insurance, I was uninsured. Can anyone help me with this or know anyone who could help me not loose my license?

Submitted by siiimple on 31st Oct 2011

I am new at this so please

I am new at this so please help me out , the vehicle is not under my name but has insurance and i need to file an sr -22 . how do i go about that ?

Submitted by nasty1 on 27th Sep 2011

I am a 23 yr old unliscensed

I am a 23 yr old unliscensed resident of california i live in la got a dui without ever having had a valid drivers license. What process do I need to take to get a license and drive legally?

Submitted by ANJOHN on 15th Jul 2011

I only have 7 more months

I only have 7 more months left before I am not required to have a sr-22 . I received a dui in 2009 and was told by my attorney and california law to maintain a Sr-22.I found an brooker right next door to the mandated drug and alchol classes. Told the broker i had a dui i need a sr-22. He asked me if i owned a vehicle I was truthful and said no. He told me i needed non owners insurance. I asked him what was that. He toldme it was insurance for people who didnt actually own a vehicle that was it. $42 dollars a month never been late in fact paid ealy. Last month in june I was in a fender bender in slow traffic going about 10 miles per hour. The vehicle i hit just stopped. My car was fine the other vehicle had problems with the back bumper.We exchanged ino it was going to cost 1700 . So i said just go through my insurance co. I get a call from my insurance saying their denying the claim because i was driving my girlsfriend car and she lives with me. WTF! I was never told that and i went over y contract declaration it does mention something to that effect but I dont remember signing that agreement. They didnt send me the contract I supposedly intialed just the declartion. My point is I make enough money to pay regualr insurance for true liabilty.....What the hell have I been paying $42 dollars a month for over 2yrs... Anybody with any feed back appeciated

Submitted by CAIns on 7th Oct 2011

I am an insurance agent in

I am an insurance agent in CA.

In CA, insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver; therefore, you should have filed you accident under your girlfriend's insurance policy (if she has one, she should) unless she is SPECIFICALLY stated under your policy and listed as a additional driver for which you pay premiums for.

Her insurance would not have gone up, just yours (even though hers paid out). In the case that she did not have insurance, yours would have paid out and she would have been fined under CA's law stating that she may lose her license for up to 4 years for having a uninsured vehicle and permitting someone else to use it.

Hope this answers your question.

Submitted by Anonymous on 22nd Apr 2011

I have an SR22 filed in

I have an SR22 filed in California with a year and a half more to go. I recently moved to Arizona and need to know if I have to file another SR22 here or just keep the California SR22. Please help!

Submitted by CAIns on 7th Oct 2011

You need to contact AZ DMV

You need to contact AZ DMV within 10 days of moving and they will let you know.

Submitted by Anonymous on 24th Mar 2011

I've been an insurance agent

I've been an insurance agent for over 10 years now and I have to be honest about SR22 forms. I think that obtaining and maintaining an SR22 is the biggest scam in California. Your insurance identification card should stand as solid proof that you are maintaining financial responsibility. Filing a form with the state for $16-$40 (depending on the insurance company) is nothing but another method for the state to make money for 3 years straight after someone receives a DUI. Unfortunately, if you don't maintain it, your license will be suspended until you get one. But keep in mind that all an SR22 does is just informs the state of California that you are maintaining an active insurance policy after having got a DUI or into an accident when you didn't have insurance. Just another scam! Good job California! Keep screwing your residents!

Submitted by CAIns on 7th Oct 2011

As a CA insurance agent, I

As a CA insurance agent, I believe the SR22 is a GREAT idea. It is only for drivers who have been deemed irresponsible because of either:


-Failure to abide by insurance requirements


-Restricted Licenses

So these people have already shown NOT to be responsible, especially in the insurance sense of those who were involved in an accident and did not have insurance. They are considered "at-risk" drivers and it is a precautionary to ensure that these people, who HAVE already broken the law (an may or may not have cause significant bodily/property damages to another) maintain some sort of obligation to the law until they show themselves fit to be trustworthy of meeting the insurance requirement on their own.

As an insurance agent, especially for 10 years, I would hope that you knew, understood and supported it. Your license your be in question because your ethics are out of order.

Submitted by christineef on 28th May 2011

I am required to get an sr22

I am required to get an sr22 form even though I was not convicted of a DUI. The police department did not have sufficiant evidence to charge me so they dropped the case but now I am required by the California D.M.V. to obtain one in order to get the suspension lifted. What a crock of sh*t. I don't even live in the state of California anymore.

Submitted by Anonymous on 3rd Apr 2011

I couldn't agree with you

I couldn't agree with you more! Just one more way to make people who "are trying to do the right thing", lose money. Money, Money, Money. I wish they would go after all the people who have lose dogs, not on leash, my area is full of em. The police just drive by. HELLO?! There is a leash law and we are bankrupt!

Submitted by jANMTAR on 1st Dec 2011

waaa waaa waaaa

waaa waaa waaaa

Submitted by carrieward on 4th Aug 2009

I think the SR-22 thing is a

I think the SR-22 thing is a bit overboard for a DUI especially since I've always had proof of and valid insurance. Just because I took medication that didn't agree with me doesn't mean I'll ever do that again.

Submitted by Anonymous on 3rd Apr 2011

Overboard is an

Overboard is an understatement! All I've heard from every attorney since I got into an accident the other night is OOOOOOO YOU NEED A SR-22, give me, give me $$$, and I'll take care of it for you? I don't even know what it is. I already called AAA and told them about the DUI and the accident, they didn't seem very worried, they said it would be "1" point on my record, no talk of cancellation. Guess, I better call them tomorrow just to make sure. What a hassle. Time to leave California!

Submitted by ihateidiots on 6th Mar 2015

I really hope you do leave

I really hope you do leave California. Take responsibility for your actions! I got my DUI 3 years ago and still I am required to pay my insurance without a lapse. An sr-22 is just a form to keep irresponsible people(like us!) accountable for our own actions! It's a one time payment of around $30. Poor you. You have it so bad!!

Submitted by Anonymous on 8th Feb 2011

And to keep it on the record

And to keep it on the record for 10 years is totally rediculous and unfounded.