SR22 is one of the ways that Florida makes sure everyone is properly compensated after a crash. However, not every driver in the state needs to know how to get SR22 insurance, as only certain motorist are required to obtain this type of coverage and submit the form to Florida’s Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle (FLHSMV).

During and after an accident, there are of course many considerations to be had such as medical care for injured parties, legal fees and determining when the drivers can get back on the road. Although it may not seem important, the proof of insurance form is a vital part of making sure all of this is handled properly, as Florida requires all of the state’s drivers to have insurance.

The government will require an SR22 form if you are caught without the having the state’s minimum auto insurance coverage. Obtaining SR-22 rates from an insurance provider in Florida is not difficult. If you have been involved in an accident and you were not insured, then this article will teach you what you need to know about this type of insurance and how it can allow you to keep your driving privileges from getting suspended.

What is Florida SR22 insurance?

SR-22 rates are amounts providers charge policyholders to complete the process of proving to the state that vehicles and drivers have auto coverage. SR22 insurance quotes are separate from the actual insurance policy itself. Despite its name, SR-22 is actually proof of insurance rather than insurance itself.

Therefore, it is a certificate giving the government information about your insurance policy such as the name of the company providing it, the date range for which it is applicable and more. It also allows the government to keep track of your insurance policy because when it is canceled, the government is notified.

This SR22 certificate, also known as the “Certificate of Liability Coverage,” is required for individuals who did not have insurance at the time of their crash. This ensures all drivers maintain the auto insurance mandated by the Florida government.

Who needs SR22 insurance in Florida?

SR22 insurance is not a requirement for all motorists in FL, as only certain high-risk drivers need to obtain this form. However, the SR-22 form is not the only type of insurance proof required in the state. It is particularly important to note the differences between these two types if you have moved to Florida from another state. The following are the two types of proof of insurance in Florida:

  • SR-22
  • FR-44

The SR-22 form covers both of these forms of insurance proof in most states, whereas in Florida it is split into two separate forms. SR-22 is required if you were at fault for a collision and you did not have the insurance that Florida requires. If you get it before your license is suspended, then you may be able to avoid the suspension.

Getting it afterward allows you to reinstate your Florida drivers license. FR-44 is required if you were convicted of a DUI and did not have the insurance that Florida requires. If you fall under the requirements for both SR-22 insurance and FR-44 insurance, then you only need to get an FR-44 policy.

Reinstating Driving Privileges With SR22 in Florida

Although the Florida government requires those who need SR22 insurance to obtain it, you will not be able to find it on their site. Instead, you will have to ask companies for their SR-22 rates and determine which one is best for you. The company then gives you the form, which you can submit to the office by mail or in person.

In order to get your driving privileges reinstated, you will have to wait until your period of suspension is over. Then, you will need to pay the required fees, which will vary based on your previous record. You will also need to show the SR22 and proof that you have signed up for the Advanced Driver Improvement course.

If you need your license during the period of your suspension, then you will also be able to apply for a hardship license. This license only allows you to use your car only for the purposes of business, and it will require you to take the Advanced Driver Improvement Course. That said, it allows you to get limited driving privileges without an SR-22 policy certificate or an FR-44 form.

How to Get SR22 Insurance in Florida

SR22 insurance quotes are available from local insurance companies that handle liability in Florida. In order to get the right insurance, you will need to make sure that the policy being offered gives the appropriate amount as outlined in the Florida Financial Responsibility Act. This means the insurance must cover:

  • $10,000 for every individual injured in an auto accident.
  • $20,000 for each auto accident.
  • $10,000 for any damage caused to vehicles or other items.

If a company handles at least 1000 insurance documents, then it is required to offer both electronic FR44 and SR22 policies, which means that larger insurance companies will offer the type of policy you are looking for. The state does not determine whether or not the insurance company raises the price for your policy if you request an SR22 form, so the prices for this proof of insurance will vary.

Penalties for Not Filing an SR22 Form in Florida

If you do not file the appropriate SR-22 policy or FR-44 form before the date of your suspension, then you will lose your driving privileges for the period of the suspension. After the period of the suspension, you will be able to reinstate your privileges for an additional fee.

If you need to file an SR-22 and an FR-44, then there is no penalty if you only file the FR-44. The latter covers all the requirements of the former. It is also important to note that you if your license is revoked in Florida, then you will not be able to get a license in another state until the period of that revocation is complete.

Last updated on Wednesday, October 14 2020.